Answered Screen Recommendation for PC Use

Black Mesa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after some recommendations please for a new TV for mainly usage as a PC gaming screen. Some requirements...
  • 46"-55" screen size
  • 4K HDR (10bit panel)
  • Curved
  • (Ideally) Published Calibrated settings.
  • Good for gaming.
  • <£600-£700
I did consider the Samsung UExxMU6220, but despite being Ultra HD certificated does not have a 10-bit panel which I found odd. Any advice is greatly welcomed, thank you!

You've fallen into the common trap of equating HDR with SDR. HDR's bit depth does not correspond to the same range as SDR's so you do not need a 10-bit panel to benefit from HDR - you primarily need the wide gamut, wider brightness range and local dimming systems.

Of which the MU6220 has none, and nothing else in your budget has much of. It's still an expensive tech on the display side and you're looking at around £1200-1500 for a reasonable HDR display, although Sony's XE90 at ~£1000 is a good (flat) budget option.

The best thing you're going to get in budget is a wide gamut backlight which will give you some benefit from HDR content. Something like an MU6500

Curved is going out of fashion for TVs, so the few of this years models that are still curved are only very gently curved.

Sadly we can't tick all your boxes in this budget. You can get a TV that accepts HDR but you cannot get a TV that does a decent job at displaying it.

Place an importance on aspects that improve HDR picture quality such as colour volume, a wider colour gamut, local dimming and peak brightness if you are concerned about HDR quality on an LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom