1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen recommendation and positioning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zAndy1, Oct 23, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    Hi,
    Well I'm going to need a screen for my forthcoming Sanyo Z2, can anyone recommend a suitable one? What sort of gain should I be looking for and should I go for white or grey? Also is it ok to have a screen above a radiator or is it not a good idea? Thinking of having the screen in front of a bedroom window (I'm nicking one of our bedrooms for my HC room!) and the radiator is below the bedroom window.

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Andy

Screens are prone to ripple effects if they are of the pull down sort. I'd say putting it over any heat source is asking for trouble.

Cheers

Chris

3. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. But sometimes compromises on positioning have to be made.
    I had a similar problem when setting up my kit. I ended hanging a pull down screen in a bay window above the radiator. This was because that was the best position that was familiy friendly in the room.
    I haven't experienced any rippling of the screen yet due to the radiator, though the heating has really been on much yet as I got the PJ in the summer.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Andy

it's not my own personal experience mind. just from reading some of the posts on here. I've just had a cheapie blackout blind up till now (which is now fairly well rippled) as I knew that in my last house there was no point buying a screen as we'd be moving the following year.

But I'd now like an 8' screen for my AE100. Let me know how you get on. I'm not sure whether to get a white or grey screen yet. The grey may give me better contrast on the Panny.

Chris

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,701
    I'm beginning to think sabotaging a bedroom isn't such a good/practical idea and that it would be best if I could install the projector/screen in the living room. This is going to take some getting past the wife and will have to be done properly i.e. no cables visible. I don't think I'm up to the job so how much should I be budgeting for getting someone in to do it? Any recommendations for companies that will install a PJ and screen? It's a new house so plasterboard walls if that makes any difference...

Cheers,
    Andy.