Screen ratio's on philips 32pf9986

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by nnicol, Mar 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have just got my new set today and am so far very pleased. The only thing is that it won't switch from 4:3 to widescreen in any setting wether it be for the dvd player or sky. Is this a feature of the set or am I missing something. Everything is connected by fully wired IXOS and one Vivanco scart lead. Please can someone help. Thank you.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't understand the problem...are you saying that you cannot adjust the picture format using the remote at all?

Jimmy

3. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean it is not switching automatically?
    Indeed it doesn't. That is a misfeature of this set.

The only thing it can do is "automatic" format change in which it will try to use as much of the screen as possible. In 16:9 format this is OK, but in 4:3 it horribly deforms the picture. The only way out of this is to select 4:3 manually and once you do that it will not autoswitch to 16:9 even if the scart lead or the WSS signaling information is indicating that it should.

This is a pity. Older Philips 16:9 sets did this OK.
    I also would have liked to have the option of automatic format change without picture deformation (so it uses only the 4:3 14:9 and 16:9 settings) but it is not available.

4. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks Rob1698. That's what I thought. Yes the remote works but I was unsure if it should auto switch. Thanks for the replies.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I tend to find myself just swapping backwards and forwards between 14:9 and 16:9. The 14:9 does a pretty sweet job of allowing you to watch those miserable 4:3 pictures whilst nearly filling the screen without distorting the image - only lose a little off the bottom and top...

Jimmy