Screen ratios and border problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pip_UK, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read that having a masked border is the best thing you can do to a projector to improve contrast and avoid annoying overscanning outside the screen.

16:9 screens seem to be popular but what if you watch cable as well (4:3)

With anamorphic dvds you still dont get the border to fit on 16:9

Seems to me that a 4:3 screen seems better as you don't lose the width when you watch DVD's. I have also read that 4:3 high resolution LCD and LCos still have better resolution in 16:9 mode than dedicated 16:9 DLP panels (I read an interesting article discounting the myth that resolution is not important).

The only thing that puts me off using this route is cable tv looks grainy on big screens (so I have read) and that its better to use a smaller image eg 5' which suggests getting a 16:9 screen and 16:9 projector.

Either way doesn't address the problem of screen borders in 4:3, 16:9 and anarmorphic viewing.

Has anyone found a way round this without having to spend thousands of pounds on a a multi-ratio screen?

Pip

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    I have a 16:9 screen, and I watch mostly dvds via my htpc. It's fine for 16:9 and 2.35:1 ratio films, anamorphic or not, as the player makes the image the correct size and ratio.

I use DScaler for 4:3 tv viewing, and I mask the top and bottom of the image in much the same way as a 16:9 tv does.

Analogue images look better than satelite I must say.

HTH

Gary.

3. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use DScaler for TV, and YXY to mask 16:9 & control the size of 4:3 programs to fit a 16:9 frame height.
    Ken

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use a da-lite model b . this screen is great ,it is a 4:3 pull down but locks in diferent down positons so you can pull it down so the image at the bottom and the sides have a black boarder. the only thing left is the top of the image

i am going to sort this with a black roller blind above the screen that i can role down to mask the top of the screen . it is still a big improvment on widescreen stuff when the screen is razed a little so the bottom border is touching the bottom of the image

quite a few people have built whole masking systems for fixed screens involving blinds . i was thinking of doing somthing like this but it's a little complicated . try having look over in the screens forum over at http://www.avforums.com/ . doing a search for masking . there is a great deal of info on this over there and it may give you a better idear

5. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info .....

I read some guy on the AVS forum that is using grey formica with good results (you would think it was too shiny!)

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i fist got my pj (befor i got my screen ) i tryed the pj out using a gloss white wall . what a hot spotting nightmare . i would have thought you would get just the same nasty effect

everyone to there own though i supose . what works for one is the worst posable thing for another :rolleyes:

7. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be of interest ... just been informed by Metroplan that their New Leader Electric Screen (Video format) can be stopped at any desired ratio via the wall switch. As the housing and base are black, as well as masked black side borders, you will always have an exact border on any ratio.

I think you would need a high resolution 4:3 panel to achieve this (Am I right?)

I know it would be a pain to keep stopping and starting the screen until the correct ratio is reached but for £300 (200cm sq) it sounds worth it. I was thinking of mounting it on the wall rather than the ceiling so as to maintain eye level on the screen regardless of ratio. Anyone good with formulas?

My only reservation with an electric screen is the possibility of it moving around with airflow/draughts etc ... is this a problem?

At the moment this is the one thing that is making me go for a static screen.

Cheers,

Pip