1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ds_kerr, Jun 5, 2002.

1. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently trying to measure throw distances and screen sizes for my home cinema. Due to the shape of my living room I need a retractable screen and preferably one that pulls up.

I have some questions:

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make pull-up screens? I was hoping that Stewart or Da-Lite do pull-up screens but I have not been able to find any.

I would like to view the screen at slightly higher than 'eye level', do screen manufacturers include a run of black material at the end of the actual screen to enable the screen height to be adjusted?

Thanks,
    David.

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi David. Check out my website. I've got a 16:9 pull-up screen that took me ages to find (nobody else seems to do the sort of thing I was after).

It's called a Homescreen & is available only from The Widescreen Centre. They're all made to order. Mine took about 1 month & cost about £500 (6ft wide).

Cheers,

Mark.

3. ds_kerr

ds_kerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Mark. This screen looks perfect apart from the fact that it is white.

I was hoping to get a grey screen to match up with a Sony VPL-VW11HT.

But this screen does fit the room perfectly and folds down (which will please the wife ;) ).

How big a difference does a gray screen make to an LCD PJ?

Ta,
    Dave.

4. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You lucky thing...I've been lusting after one of those Sony's for ages :p

A grey screen should increase contrast, though at the expense of brightness. Depends upon your individual setup of course. There are so many tweaks you can perform on projectors & associated gadgets these days, you may find you get perfectly acceptable contrast without the grey screen. Difficult to know without having the screen in the first place though! Perhaps it would be worth projecting the image onto a homemade screen whilst you tweak it & decide which screen to fork out for? If you do a search here and at AVS you should find lot's of advice on screens made from painted mdf etc.

If you definitely want to go grey (!), you might like to try contacting the people at the Widescreen Centre. The company that makes the HomeScreen for them seemed pretty flexible with custom dimensions etc. Perhaps they'll be able to provide grey screen material too...? They will definitely provide a custom length of black material at the base of the screen so you can have it at just the right height.

Cheers,

Mark.