Screen Protectors

jambomakaveli

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Never used screen protectors before. Always been really careful with my stuff. I love my switch that much that I’m looking to maybe get a screen protector for it. Just looking for some feedback, thoughts etc.

do they detract from the gaming experience in anyway?

Easy to put on, take off?

I've heard you can get bubbling. Is this common?

Looking to see which ones people have, and if they rate them. Hopefully get a feel then for which one to get.

cheers

Have a read through this thread
or just take my word for it (plus the number of reviews on Amazon) & buy this screen protector Orzly Glass Screen Protectors compatible with Nintendo: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I don’t usually bother with screen protectors either but did with the switch due to some people saying the plastic screen scratches from docking/undocking the console.

No downsides from having the screen protector, & if anything, the look/feel of a glass screen (vs default plastic screen) gives the Switch even more of a premium look/feel.

Bubbling is avoided by not using the Switch in docked mode for the first 48 hours (I think was 48) after installing, to allow the glue to set properly. Docked mode = warm/hot switch which can cause the glue to bubble while it’s still fresh. Once it’s set, no problems with bubbling.
No issues with removing screen afterwards if you want either.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Brilliant!!!

thanks for that!

I had been looking at that one.

I bought a dock sock, which would help even more with scratching when docking.
And I’m fine with the 48 hours as I’m a mostly handheld guy. Lol.

wil have a good read through that thread.
Thanks again! 👍🏻

I've had the exact same one on mine for nearly 3 years now & it's really good. You don't really notice it once it's on plus I found it really easy to do with it being rigid. Mine is used mainly handheld but is docked to charge & there's not a single mark on it.

At home my kids play on the PS4 and the Wii U with great effect. All you need to ensure is that you get one with the right refresh rate, (many either say Gaming Projector at the budget end or within the setting they will have a gaming mode)

I know I haven't used a TV that has outperformed a good projector yet

I tried a couple of screen protectors when I bought mine, including the Orzly ones mentioned above. Having tried to apply many times, I just couldn’t get it on without some sort of foreign object under it, in the end I gave up on them and been using it without one. Maybe the refresh rate on the ones I bought was wrong ;)

I tried a couple of screen protectors when I bought mine, including the Orzly ones mentioned above. Having tried to apply many times, I just couldn’t get it on without some sort of foreign object under it, in the end I gave up on them and been using it without one. Maybe the refresh rate on the ones I bought was wrong ;)

Took me 3 attempts with the orzly screen protectors (had to buy a 2nd pack of 2), first two ended up with a bubble in the middle of the screen that I couldn't get rid of, the 3rd attempt is a mm out of alignment but there's no bubbles which is the main thing. Bloody pain to get on perfectly and bubble free

At home my kids play on the PS4 and the Wii U with great effect. All you need to ensure is that you get one with the right refresh rate, (many either say Gaming Projector at the budget end or within the setting they will have a gaming mode)

I know I haven't used a TV that has outperformed a good projector yet

I don’t Have the money for a screen projector, so I’ll stick with the screen protector for now! Lol

Seems like if you can get them on right... orzly is the way to go.
I’ll give it a crack. Lol

Took me 3 attempts with the orzly screen protectors (had to buy a 2nd pack of 2), first two ended up with a bubble in the middle of the screen that I couldn't get rid of, the 3rd attempt is a mm out of alignment but there's no bubbles which is the main thing. Bloody pain to get on perfectly and bubble free
Did you leave it on (with bubble) for a day or two? Bubbles like that will often disappear after a day or two as the trapped air will leak away.

A good way to avoid dust & line up properly is to line it all up, then tape one side of the protector to the switch (eg using scotch tape).

Then run a hot shower & let the bathroom steam up. This will vastly reduce the amount of dust in the air. Take your Switch into the bathroom, clean the screen with supplied alcohol wipes, then flip the (already) aligned protector. Perfect fit & no dust. Use the card to squeeze out bubbles.

Take the Switch out of bathroom & leave it so any moisture/condensation can dry (don’t worry it won’t damage the Switch - similar to instruction manual re: bringing electronics indoors if it’s cold outside, to let the moisture/condensation dry).

Important point: reviews say not to use the included dust stickers on the Switch screen as it leaves marks, so I avoided using them (didn’t need them anyway).

Did you leave it on (with bubble) for a day or two? Bubbles like that will often disappear after a day or two as the trapped air will leak away.

A good way to avoid dust & line up properly is to line it all up, then tape one side of the protector to the switch (eg using scotch tape).

Then run a hot shower & let the bathroom steam up. This will vastly reduce the amount of dust in the air. Take your Switch into the bathroom, clean the screen with supplied alcohol wipes, then flip the (already) aligned protector. Perfect fit & no dust. Use the card to squeeze out bubbles.

Take the Switch out of bathroom & leave it so any moisture/condensation can dry (don’t worry it won’t damage the Switch - similar to instruction manual re: bringing electronics indoors if it’s cold outside, to let the moisture/condensation dry).

Important point: reviews say not to use the included dust stickers on the Switch screen as it leaves marks, so I avoided using them (didn’t need them anyway).

great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to write that!

when you say flip the already aligned protector...

do you mean basically lift up the side that isn’t taped down in order to get the screen wiped?

great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to write that!

when you say flip the already aligned protector...

do you mean basically lift up the side that isn’t taped down in order to get the screen wiped?
Not sure what you mean, but basically it’s this method and you use the alcohol wipe to clean the switch screen before peeling/applying the protector

Just line up the front speaker notches so it matches the Switch.

Yes that’s what I meant about lifting up the side that wasn’t taped. Lol. Like exactly in that video.
Just saw orzly actually do a tutorial on YouTube. Pretty similar to the video you just posted.

I had one on my Switch Lite, worked fine, I sat in the bathroom after having ran the shower for a while really hot to create steam, this settles the dust making it easier to put the protector on without getting any bubbles, and trust me I HATE putting protectors on as I always get bubbles.
It took me all three of the protectors in the packet but I got one on there perfectly. I used these ones:

I liked the quality of them and when I sold my Switch Lite recently it was dead easy to remove it too, left no residue.

I had one on my Switch Lite, worked fine, I sat in the bathroom after having ran the shower for a while really hot to create steam, this settles the dust making it easier to put the protector on without getting any bubbles, and trust me I HATE putting protectors on as I always get bubbles.
It took me all three of the protectors in the packet but I got one on there perfectly. I used these ones:

I liked the quality of them and when I sold my Switch Lite recently it was dead easy to remove it too, left no residue.

I had looked at them ones As well. It was between them and the orzly. Went with the orzly as they were the first ones recommended to me.
That’s a few people mentioned the bathroom/steam thing.

forgive the idiot in me, but what do you actually do, and what’s the benefit?

I had looked at them ones As well. It was between them and the orzly. Went with the orzly as they were the first ones recommended to me.
That’s a few people mentioned the bathroom/steam thing.

forgive the idiot in me, but what do you actually do, and what’s the benefit?

You just literally need to run the tap or shower at a hot temperature so it fills the room with some steam, you then place the screen protector on in that room with the steam, don’t get it too full of steam otherwise it may damage your Switch!
What the steam does is it settles all the dust in the room thus making it a lot easier to put the screen protector on and avoid getting any dust or flint underneath it reducing those bubbles.
Is also suggest a powerful light or torch so you can see the dust more easily and use the wipes they include these days with the kits.

You just literally need to run the tap or shower at a hot temperature so it fills the room with some steam, you then place the screen protector on in that room with the steam, don’t get it too full of steam otherwise it may damage your Switch!
What the steam does is it settles all the dust in the room thus making it a lot easier to put the screen protector on and avoid getting any dust or flint underneath it reducing those bubbles.
Is also suggest a powerful light or torch so you can see the dust more easily and use the wipes they include these days with the kits.
Brilliant!

really appreciate that m8!

thats cleared it up!

thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom