Screen protectors for Steelbook?

Scoop007

Hi,

Is there a version of protector available for Steelbook like what is used for phone screens?

I'm not keen on the full protectors I have seen and would like to protect the front and back.

Phil.

I wouldn't have thought so.

I've used the full slip protectors and polybags in the past but now as I'm not bothered about my collection they just sit in boxes and on the shelves without anything 😂

ssbib

Distinguished Member
You can get some that just cover the front, back, top and bottom from Steelbook Central.

Edit: actually I think it’s the sides that are protected and they slide in and out via the top or bottom. Have a look at Steelbook Central, there are loads of different types available there.

Scoop007

I wouldn't have thought so.

I've used the full slip protectors and polybags in the past but now as I'm not bothered about my collection they just sit in boxes and on the shelves without anything 😂
I'm guessing the same will happen to me :D
For the time being, even a microscratch bothers me.
Ive just put up shelves with lighting to display front first up to 60 steels, with the rest having to slide in. I'll rotate the hidden steels to keep the display fresh. However, with the lighting setup, it really shows off any defects.
Id rather not have to open and close a protector for the hidden steel. I'm thinking maybe a small piece of 1mm foam on the corners, to prevent friction when sliding in and out, or ideally a protector in the style of a phone screen protector.

IT Troll

I use the protector style which has an exposed spine (SC2). This protects against all shelf wear but is quite discreet when shelved. Steelbook just slides out for display which has got to be simpler than small pieces of foam. Actually sticking something to a steelbook sounds risky and isn’t going to work so well for embossed steels.

Last edited:

Scoop007

I like the sound of the protector with exposed spine. But as someone else has mentioned, some of these Steelbooks are really fragile and may microscratch when pulling in and out of protector.
The two Steelbooks that have started my search have microscratches from just sliding out of the sleeve they come in.
I will definitely have a look though because it seems there are few options.

SFkilla

Distinguished Member
How come? Aren’t they made of the same stuff. Or do you go for a variant with a more loosey-goosey fit?

Probably dust that settles and with the tight fit... very fine scratches though, but still annoyed me.
I bought 10 units in 2015 i believe, but then decided to put all my steels inside SCF1 and think these are the best protectors for steelbooks imo.
They looked pretty good on the shelfs when i had close to a thousand... :blush:

Scoop007

Probably dust that settles and with the tight fit... very fine scratches though, but still annoyed me.
I bought 10 units in 2015 i believe, but then decided to put all my steels inside SCF1 and think these are the best protectors for steelbooks imo.
They looked pretty good on the shelfs when i had close to a thousand... :blush:
OK that's would make sense.
I'm the type that doesnt like to use protectors on my phone, even the tempered glass ones. I think I'll bite the bullet and try some SCF1 :)

SFkilla

Distinguished Member
OK that's would make sense.
I'm the type that doesnt like to use protectors on my phone, even the tempered glass ones. I think I'll bite the bullet and try some SCF1 :)

I will never put any crap on my phone, those pseudo screen protector always made me :rolleyes:
Another reason why i liked the SCF1 is the fact that you can fit the steelbook in its quarter slip cardboard j-card too. Nice fit.

Dean

I found the Steelbook Central ones could scratch occasionally as the way it folds at the spine. I now use www.blu-steels.com which have a different fold at the spine and haven't noticed any problems. They are sent from Germany I think though so you may need to wait a bit longer but worth it IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom