1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen problems with PS2 ICO on Plasma

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by codlord, Jul 18, 2002.

1. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Toshiba 42" Plasma 42WP16 (which is a re-badged Panasonic), I have my PS2 connected to it on the composite AV input - all my games seem to work fine except 'ICO'

As soon as the game loads the entire screen 'jumps' every few seconds and it does this constantly. I have played this game on another TV with no problems.

Has anyone else come across this problem or successfuly played this game on a Plasma screen?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    sounds like its auto-detecting the aspect ratio and getting confused by the black padded border round the image. Try setting it manually to 4x3 or zoom or even 16x9 ( wide ) if you don't mind distortion or even just ( if its anything like most pannys)

3. merrick

merrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ico works fine on my plasma, but I know the problem as it happens when I try to play PS1 games. The screen jumps every few seconds, got no idea what causes it though. weird.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ICO is non-interlaced, just like old PSX games. It is essentially a low-res progressive picture (288p50). This causes problem for some devices, even though they should have been designed to accept it.

Plasma's need to de-interlace the image, and if they do not recognize the image as non-interlaced, that may cause every other video field to be offset before it is scaled and output. That is what is happening on your screen - unless the picture is jumping all over the place...

It should be fixable through a firmware upgrade, but getting them to produce one with a fix might be a different story.