1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Problem - Panasonic Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nathanf, May 9, 2005.

1. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I got my PW5 I've noticed a slight problem with the screen.

Down the left and right side of the screen,1cm of the image seems to be magnified slightly to the rest of the screen.

This is NOT noticable most of the time on normal programming, but on shots where the camera pans the scenery, or if there is text going across the screen (like BBC News 24 or even the "Living TV" ident) the text "grows" slightly when it gets to the edge of the screen.

It kinda remeinds me of a pincushion effect on a PC monitor, but not as aparent.

Its a hard problem to explain, but I have also noticed this when watching a DVD too.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    Nathan it might just be your aspect setting...sounds like when you have a 4:3 image stretched to fit the screen

3. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its set to "Just".

People look too skinny on 16:9.

I hope its not a fault :(

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    use 16:9 for widescreen output and 4:3 for other output (most wide screen progs on sky have a w if you press info)......the just setting stretches a 4:3 image to fit the screen so hence what you are seeing..it's not a fault. I never used to really notice this but now I do (because i look for it) so 4:3 should be viewed with the bars down either side.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Look at your manual and it should explain exactly what the "Just" setting does but in a nutshell it takes a non 16:9 image and stretches out the edges of the picture leaving the centre aspect relatively intact. As you view is normally drawn to the centre of the screen you wouldn't normally notice the effect. This is why the left and right edges look slightly magnified as you put it.

6. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just start by saying how much I love this forum. :)

When I got home, I switched from Just to 16:9 and it went totally normal. I saw Just when setting up and assumed that would be the best one. I cant belive I thought it was something that would needed repairing :suicide:

Thanks you guys, I have been (secretly) worried about this since I've had it but not said anything to anyone I know.
    They all love it, so i'm not going to slag it off in any way!! :nono:

Did anyone else feel like their plasma was a new born baby when they first got it?
    I sit here thinking and worrying about it, and cant stand to be away from it :rotfl:

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Just be aware that now you've got it set to 16:9 any 4:3 broadcast you receive (and to a lesser extent 14:9) will be stetched out, rather than zoomed, to fill the screen thus leaving everything looking a bit on the wide side.