1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen position (height on wall).

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cosaw, Jan 23, 2005.

1. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello all,

Before purchasing a crt projector I'm going to get my screen and pc ready first.

I'm going to build a 16:9 screen of around 8ft x 4.5ft. In order to fit my main stereo speakers under the screen itself I'm going to have the top of the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. The ceiling height is 7ft 9". Therefore when the screen is showing a 16:9 pic the top of the pic will be close to ceiling height. (4:3 images will be shown within the 16:9 window on the rare occasions that 4:3 will be watched.)

Taking into acount normal sofa height and the size of the screen (and associated seated distance) is this too high? In order to look at the centre of the picture my head would be tilted back against the sofa just like in most cinemas. Looking at pics most home cinemas seem to have the centre of the image lower than this.

Where do others position their screens and can most crt pjs (probably barco 801 in my case) accomodate an angle that will allow the top of a 16:9 image to be near the ceiling height?

Any comments welcome,

Simon

2. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hello Simon,

I have a Seleco CRT and at my last house I had the projector tilted up to achieve a 16:9 image nearer the top of the screen than normal. I had to re-calculate the adjustments for the lenses as the angle was outside the range specified for the projector. The 16:9 image, on my projector, is achieved by squashing the image in the vertical plane so that the centre of the image is always in the same place. I used the memorised settings to shift the 4:3 image down. I was never happy with the result though. I now have the projector set up properly so that a 4:3 image fills the screen and the top of a 16:9 image is lower down. The results are much better.

One problem I did notice with a high 16:9 image was neck ache. It's much more comfortable with the image lower down.

My screen covers the top half of my main speakers. I adjusted the speaker settings etc. to compensate for this. I assume from you mentioning the sofa height you intend to place the screen on a wall behind a sofa. If this is the case you may not have many options open to you.

Regards, John.

3. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Doing a quick calculation from a Barco 7LT., the closest you could have the top of the viewable screen excluding the black border would be 7 inches down from the ceiling. Providing you are not mounting the screen enclosure above the ceiling, the depth of the case, about 5" plus the 2" black border should give you about 7 inches. Anything less than this would give you a negative value for positioning the CRT PJ down from the ceiling. 7'9" is quite a low ceiling, so I cannot visualise a problem, with a cricked neck, if so use a reclining chair, increasing the depth of the screen down from the ceiling, could soon run you into problems with the projector being physically too low.

Please note these figures are based on a 7LT, and may be different for your PJ. E & OE

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As said above, with a CRT its a question of getting the screen in the right position relative to the PJ as this is crucial in getting the best performance out of a CRT :) Having the screen flush with the ceiling will not work as ideally the PJ needs to be level rather than on a tilt and the top of the screen needs to be below the top line of the PJ. To get a general idea download the Barco lens program from their site, this will callculate projector/screen positioning for the entire Barco range and give you a good idea for other makes :thumbsup:

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks very much guys you've given me some different aspects to think about. I suppose the best place to start then is with the Barco lens program as mentioned. I suppose its going to be like most things - a bit of compromise, I wanted to get my main speakers a little higher without covering the screen, I think there may be a little more room for this but perhaps not quite as much as I had hoped. Perhaps I'll tilt my main speakers back a little to give a better direction to the trebble without having to raise them further.

Anyway more thought to do, thanks again,

Simon

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Simon
    I just measured my screen for the Barco 808s installed by Roland of B4 projection. The 7ft 16:9 screentop is 6.5ft from the ground.

I remember the ideal having your seated eye heght meet the screen 1/3 from it's bottom.

I wouldn'twant it any higher, although pushing it up aout 4 inches would then totally clear my floorstandaers which are either side.

I have a big center speaker level with the top edge of te screen. It's not often recommnded, but does form a nice triangle of sound and allows the MDF screen to act as a big baffle. I think the screen acting as a baffle is why center dialog seems to come from around the center of the screen, which surprised me when I first trialled it.

regards,
    Rob.

7. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Rob,

Interesting thoughts, the top of my screen, which is only 6' wide is 7ft., from the floor. A consideration must always be how far down the projector is going to extends into the room, the bottom of my Barco 7LT is barely 6' high, and is ideally mounted for the screen height, as well as being water level. I have looked again at my calculations in a previous thread, and note that the top of the projector could be 2.52 inches below the top of the 8.0' screen, which could be mounted level with the top of the ceiling, as one reduces the SW, then the correction vaue moves into a negative one, and the screen would then have to be lower down from the ceiling to compensate, but the calculations in the manual are based on a 4.3 set up. so are not really relevant, downloading the lens formula is a good idea, I believe that crt projections also have this on their site.

I tried putting my centre speaker above the screen, as I have a vaulted ceiling, which is only 1.5 metres wide on the level portion, so in order to get the SW., I had to have the screen top some distance down from the ceiling. One big advantage was that it freed up space in the equipment rack, which is below the screen, however I was never sure whether the dialogue sounded like it was going over the top my head, so I have now moved it below the screen.. Cosaw does not mention how large the room is, and what the average viewing distance will be, I am 3.3 metres from a 6ft. by 3.6 inches screen, I wouldn't want to be any closer, or want a larger screen. Perhaps COSAW may consider a smaller screen, then his L/R speakers could possible go either side of the screen. Another point is if people are going to watch in a second row of seats, these should be ideally higher than seats in the front row, to give a decent viewing of the whole screen.I got over this by having adjustable leather office chairs as the second row seating, which can be pumped up higher than the low recliners in the front row, works quite well, and avoids building in a raised platform, as is done in the theatre.

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have three floorstanders under my screen and the viewing angle is fine. You can see photos either in a thread in this section called CRT install or in the members gallery :thumbsup:

9. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Barry: that sounds like a good idea (smaller screen size - 7ft at max probably). It sounds like much above 7ft is less than optimal for picture quality anyway.

Rob: if I went for a 7ft screen like yourself then I could more comfortably have the top of my screen 6.5 - (7ft absolute max) from the floor and have more options with speaker height.

Thunder: Your scenario sounds interesting (room for floor standers) did a search for "crt install" but can't find the thread - if you can find it can you post the address please? I'll have a look in the members gallery in the meantime.

By the way, dowloaded the lens program and will have a play latter.

Thanks all,

Simon

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its on page 2 of this forum mate under CRT Install :thumbsup:

11. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers Thunder, the search must have somehow overlooked it! I'll be sure to take a look.

Simon