• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

screen placement above fire

ben16v

hey
im pretty much set on buying a HD65 or X9, i need a screen but it will drop 12" down over the top of my inglenook with a multi fuel burner in it, my question is am i likely to get any movement from the screen due to heat issues, it will be approx 6" in front of the top of the `nook?
ive seen you can get tethered screen but what are normal ones like - heavy? can i weight it down to stop any movemnet?
any response/issues greatly appreciated
thanks
ben

deadmonkey

Mine was a few inches in front of the wall above the fireplace, although the fireplace separated it from the heat source itself. I did find it swaying slightly occasionally which did make me too wonder about weights.

I also contemplated using those helping hand thingies, but didn't try that either. http://reprap.org/pub/Main/SolderingToolKit/helping-hands-tool.jpg

My room is in the process of being extended and I'm planning to put it either directly on the wall or fit a screen to the wall I think...

Last edited by a moderator:

ben16v

ive been measuring up and it looks like the screen is gonna drop down pretty low down to about 6" above the burner, thanks for the reply any one else?

cheers
ben

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Regardless of any movement issues, you may well find that the screen surface will wrinkle due to heat. There is a post somewhere here where a Plasma TV seems to have caused a screen to wrinkle irreversably, so I'm sure a heater would be worse.

stubie_do

I never use my projector screens above my fire place, when the fire is on, as it smells like highly volatile pear drops. I daren’t risk it.

ben16v

cool cheers guys, looks like new plans are needed i thought it sounded like a noob question but glad i asked. i wont tell the mrs the whole room layout is gonna have to change lol

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom