1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen orbiter/wobbler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zmbq, May 24, 2003.

1. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After doing some more lazy research about plasma screens (I decided I'm going to get one - a big step forward. Now it's time to figure out exactly what's going on...), I encountered the term 'screen orbiter'.

Alas, I couldn't find any clear explanation as to what it does. It orbits the picture around, that I understood. But how much? One pixel at a time for 10 pixels? 500 pixels? Is it configurable (I would like something like to for when I'm watching 4:3 signals - which will consist for most of my viewing). I couldn't find any technical explanation for this feature - just that it exists and that sometimes turned off by default.

Thanks
    Itay.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    zmbq

Each manufacturer has its own ideas about what a screen obiter should do and how to implement it.

Some orbiter modes will shift an image around by two or three pixels at a time every ten minutes or so - which is fine as long as you are not displaying something with big blocks of solid colour that are 20-30 pixels wide. (when you require more than 2-3 pixels you generally have to employ an external device to do the picture shift - though these are totally unsuitable for TV viewing).

For 4:3 viewing many manufactures give you 'side bar adjustment' that enables you to set the contrast, colour and brightness of the side bars independently (to a degree) of the main image area settings.

Some manufacturers also have a function that automatically moves the 4:3 image within the 16:9 display by a few tens of pixels every time a 4:3 image is viewed.

Orbiter and 4:3 side bar adjustment are really addressing two different issues - the orbiter mode is generally used when displaying PC generated text information and the Side Bar adjustment is more relevant to your own TV viewing requirements.

Best regards

Joe

3. zmbq

zmbq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which manufacturers let you shift the picture horizontally when watching a 4:3 signal?

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    How do I know if it's switched on?

Can one control it?

StooMonster

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    On the Panny PW6, wobble is under the screensaver options. By default it is off.

Mark

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    On my Panny5 I think it's under the service menu, and hidden from view.

StooMonster

7. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have no idea at all where it is on my Hitachi, its there but where? LOL

Best regards David