1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Or TV??????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gpc1, Nov 22, 2004.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I have been looking around the forum at all the newbie threads and they have been of great advice. I am a bit of a tight bugger so i like to know that i am getting value for money so the advice on this forum is invaluable.

A couple of things have confused me though. Some people talk of Plasma screens plus boards amps etc others talk of TV. What I need is a flat screen that I can watch sky and DVD. Easy to set up and doesn’t require a Phd in electrical engineering to set up. I am a bit scared of buying something then finding out I need to spend another 500 on extras just to be able to watch BBC1/ITV ect.

Also, what are the most important things when looking at a Plasma. Obviously picture quality is up there along with Budget but then what…..the amount of scart connections…..refresh rate????

Please don’t think I am being a lazy git. I have looked at a few screens ( in currys) and was very impressed with the Hitachi 32pd5200 ( I can get this for £1500 ).

So, in summary
    Whats the diff between a screen and a TV?
    Is there a website that can give me an idiot proof guide to how a plasma works and what is required??
    What are the most important factors when buying a Plasma other than Budget & PQ.
    Can i connect a screen to my Nad amp and run the sound through my hifi speakers?

Many many thanks for any answers/guides. Oneday hopefully i will be able to pass on my knowledge on to another Newboy.

Greg

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

I have read this thread before and although it is full of usefull info there is a lot of it and i kinda get lost in all the jargon.

Whats a scart box, whats the tuner.... i need to go through some sort of becgnners guide to what makes up a plasma set up. All i want to do is plug it in, stick it on the wall , connect it to DVD, SKY or Sky+ and watch TV!!! Would be nice to be able to connect it to my Hi Fi amp and speakers ( the hitachi already comes with speakers, or i may buy one of those all in one DVD and surround sound kits). It all needs to be done with as fewer cables as possible ( cables would be of highest quality affordable). Budget excluding cables is £1500. Can it be done? If so can it be done with the Hitach and the Panasonic or are there hidden extras?

Mant many thanks.
    Greg

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scart box what i call the JS Technology RGB Scart to VGA converter,
    Tuner (recievs TV channels ) EG Sky box FV box, VCR also has a tuner built in (sometimes called a plasma Media box (tuner and conection device)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    gpc1

Plasma Display - a large PC monitor with optional video Input boards.

PlasmaTV - a large PC monitor with an external Switch box offering multiple video inputs and usually an Analogue or Digital (or both) TV tuner.

Integrated PlasmaTV - a large monitor with in built video sockets plus an Analogue or Digital (or both) TV tuner.

As a direct 'Swap' for a conventional TV the PlasmaTV and Integrated PlasmaTV are ideal for many folk.

If your moving from a conventional TV to having a Surround Sound 'Home Theatre' set-up to include PC, DVD, Digibox, DVR, Game console etc then many of our customers now use their AV Receiver as the central Video/Audio switching and Audio processing 'Hub' of their system and don't require the 'feature' set you get in the PlasmaTV or Integrated PlasmaTV units and opt instead for the lower cost Plasma Display models; which generally offer better (read simpler) video processing and best image quality.

Its relatively straightforward to configure a system using an AV Receiver as your Audio and Video 'Hub' and with a bit of planning and careful choice of AV Receiver you don't require anywhere near as many 'add ons' as you may perceive.

Best idea is to list out your source kit and folk will give you some ideas of potential systems you can consider - though if your not in the market for a new AV Receiver and just want to replace an old TV then possibly the PlasmaTV or Integrated PlasmaTV models will be best for you.

Best regards

Joe