1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen OR home theatre PC - which will improve picture more?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John_N, Jan 21, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.

I'm projecting onto a white wall with my HS10.

I'm thinking about improving the picture soon.

Suppose I look at either:

1. A Projecta Procinema electric screen matte white 1.0

OR

2. A silent home theatre PC connected via DVI

Which improvement is going to give me the biggest IMPROVEMENT in picture quality short term?

Ideas?

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    HTPC is the best for PQ or a projector on bang for buck basis!!
    can be a pain the bum though!!:D :D

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you think that the HTPC will give me a big improvement in PQ?

I currently use a Toshiba SD9000 DVD player over component video by the way.

A screen reseller told me (not surprisingly) that a painted wall would look awful and a screen would be a big improvement. Is there a view on this?

The big advantage of a painted wall of course is that it's cheap and you can have any size you like very easily. I was wondering whether painting the wall grey would make the picture better and then I could spend the cash on the home theatre PC with a clear conscience...

So. What's the view?
    Grey wall & home theatre PC
    white screen & DVD player.

(Can't get a grey screen in the UK apart from the Stewart ones AFAIK)

Cheers
    John

4. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi John_N, I don't know if this helps but I just made a DIY screen for my HS10 from blackout material that you are welcome to come I see (I live in Pangbourne near Reading) to make some kind of comparison to a blank wall.

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer Ziglar - I may well just do that.
    What is the colour of your screen? What sort of blackout material? Is it tensioned? Yes I'm definitely interested in having a look.

At the moment I'm leaning HEAVILY towards building a home theatre PC to drive the HS10 and making do with a fixed DIY screen on the wall.

It occurred to me that if I framed the screen using a nice thick wooden beading then it might look quite attractive and I could use some material in there if necessary to boot.

Or maybe I should just use lots of coats of "screen goo" that I've read about? feedback? I gather that screen goo is available in "digital grey" which sounds nice... Or maybe I could paint some kind of blackout material with screen goo...

6. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Given my complete lack of of any skills in the DIY area, my screen is probably not the best example that you can find.

It is made up of 2 x 88" (2"x2") butted to 4 x 53" to give an 80" x 45" with 4" each side border. I have just stapled some blackout fabric bought from a curtain shop over the frame which I stretched to make it reasonably flat (would you call this tensioning?).

I project onto the fabric side and so far it looks OK.

The one thing I forgot to do was to iron out the folds in the fabric before I stapled it; these are visible in some cases (in fact, I'm not too sure if I can iron this since it is backed by some kind of rubber/vinyl).

7. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi john

i reckon you should try getting some screen material samples. The scaler in the hs10 works very well, and therefore the usual benefits of 1:1 mapping from an htpc will not necessarily give as great improvement.
    i have set up my pc to do 1:1 mapping via dvi already, but am reserving judgement until i can do some proper comparisons back to back in a more controlled way.

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. After some thought I agree with you.

I tried painting my wall grey this morning. It improved the contrast about as much as putting the cinema filter on. However the wall imprefections showed up a lot and were very annoying.

I think I need a proper screen.

I've ordered the screen from nexnix.co.uk as well.

They have me a price of £440 including VAT and carriage for an electric projecta procinema electrol 180*120cm in Matte White S fabric so I have one on order. I will work on putting our furnishings back in order at the weekend ready for the screen!

By the way I don't work for nexnix.. I know I've mentioned them a lot but it's just that they've been quite cheap for my projector and the screen.

9. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John_N,

I have been in touch with Nexnix to arrange a demo of
    HS10 this saturday,will let you know more,seems very knowledgeble and helpful kind of people!!

Rash

10. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Normally people project onto the rubberized side of the block-out material. (sometimes they go further and paint it too)

11. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    now you tell me ....... :(

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    is the demo in London RASH? if so i would be interested in attending if u did not mind

13. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

I achieved a great improvement in picture quality by projecting onto a home made screen made from a sheet of MDF, painted with a 16:9 ratio rectangle in Dulux IceStorm4 (a neutral grey) surrounded with a black border.

The screen is heavy so it has to be a permanent fixture, but there are not 'tensioning' issue and the picture improvement is dramatic, not only because of the improved contrast but the black border improved the overall cinematic look of the picture.

Lots of people on this forum have done the same using the same paint - you get it mixed by any large DIY store that does Dulux paint.

There are 6 IceStorm colours ranging from nearly black (IceStorm1) to nearly white (IceStorm6). The darker the paint, the more dramatic the result (within reason of course) and some people would say the the colour I use is too dark (but I have an old LCD and I needed a lot of help with contrast :rolleyes: )

Hope that's of some help.

Sam