• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Screen on the Sagem Axium HDD50H

Grobnic

Standard Member
I was in Comet today looking at the latest Sagem Axium HDD50H (again). I played around with the picture settings and got a very reasonable analog picture.
The good news
I was able to compare this model with HD45 model and finally I can see the 'frosty' screen on the 45" version everybody is talking about, the good news is the HDD50H does not appear to suffer from the same effect. :clap:
The bad news :suicide:
When I looked closely at the screen on the HDD50H I could see a number of black spots. These appeared irregular in shape and of varying size. I adjusted the screen size (4:3, 16:9, zoom etc) and the spots did not move. The assistant said they may be dead pixcells but I my theory is they were either black marks on the back of the screen or missing bits of screen coating.
I looked at every other DLP in the store and could see nothing similar, has anybody else come across this?

Snap

Standard Member
sh.t!
my first Sagem HD-D45S had the spot around 3cm in diameter exactly in the center.
When i received the new one (exchanged due to side panel damage) the 2cm spot is now in upper right corner.
It is only possible to see on white PC screen.
If these are dead pixels - it's sad. :(
check the pictures

Attachments

• PA031209s.jpg
    PA031209s.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 418
  • PA031211s.jpg
    PA031211s.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 391
  • PA031212s.jpg
    PA031212s.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 344

sprattgraham

Established Member
If they where dead pixels then there would be nothing there.

It's more likely there is some marks on one of the mirrors.

I was talking to Andrew today while he was replacing the part that control’s the lamp.

Snap

Standard Member
have no idea what to do now :(
the problem (or the good thing?) is that i got more expensive set HD-D45 black as the replacement and it looks absolute spot on in my room, much better than the silver one. I'm afraid that if i will complain and they will change it as well i'll get the silver one back instead :)

sprattgraham

Established Member
Give Sagem Tech Support a call they are the best people to deal with.

When mine went wrong I got someone from Comet to come have a look. He was there 10 minutes and said they will arrange for someone to collect it. Got a call the next morning it was going to take them and week to collect it and up to six weeks to repair it.

If it's only the mirrors that are dirty all they have to do is take the top of the TV off.

You get to see all of the insides.

dynamitetony

Established Member
Im very very tempted by this TV (though i cant decide between this and the 56 version)

Anyone else have this screen and have good things to say about it ?

Is there a new model coming out soon that i should wait for ?

thanks

sprattgraham

Established Member
Not got a clue, they must be on the side. The audio connectors for the HDMI are on the back.

D

dave4chris

has anyone purchased the Sagem Axium HD-D50H G4-T DLP TV and is there any
problems with it it looks awesome in comet at £1599 thanks dave

D

dave4chris

you can get a dvd player that converts normal dvds to hd dvd as any one got one
is it as good as the shops make out thanks dave

maidstoneman30s

Standard Member
Hi there all,
Dave4vhris, You will find that most DVD players with HDMI or DVI output, will give a very decent picture. If you have more of a budget get a scaler in there as well.

I am very interested in the HD50 G4 myself. Unfortunately I have not as yet seen many postings from people that own them.

HD50 G4 owners !!!!! please post your comments. Would love to make my mind up and get one before XMAS.

T

Tonywrj

dave4chris said:
has anyone purchased the Sagem Axium HD-D50H G4-T DLP TV and is there any
problems with it it looks awesome in comet at £1599 thanks dave

It is awesome, I've had mine almost 2 weeks and am still gobsmacked. :thumbsup:

It does have the famous hum (from the colourwheel?) but even my wife doesn't see that as a problem. We only really notice it during start up and while watching photos via our LinkTheatre.

Comet reduced the price by £100 to the one you quote between ordering and delivery DUH!!!!

Go for it,

Tony

jessmith

Standard Member
Hi there,

Don't have the 50" but do have the 45" G4 and have read most of threads, I believe that the models are extremly similar and so would share similar issues.

I think that the only 3 issues that come up are:

Noise from colourwheel, this is I understand common, but how noticable is variable, but I believe recent batches are better.
Some people think the sound is "weedy" when using the integral speakers, can't really comment as I have a pretty good AV set up, so in comparison it is weak, but so are all tellys.
Lastly is an issue with white light flashes or lines when using component video or VGA link, this appears to be a very limited problem (although I have the component flash) I believ it's down to individual faults with the connections.
Mine is being replaced on Friday because of the flash, will let you know how new one is on all issues

maidstoneman30s

Standard Member
great news people. This is the kind of information that helps to make my mind up. As I have the Tosh 46" model, soon to be returned, I have the same humming on mine and have got used to it. so one issue out of the way alright.

T

Tonywrj

dave4chris said:
thanks for your reply so how did you get yours for £1499 from comet :clap: :clap:

I didn't make myself clear. I actually paid £1699 only to notice that Comet reduced the price to £1599 about a day before mine was delivered. I should have waited another week to order.

Tony

T

Tonywrj

jessmith said:
Hi there,

Don't have the 50" but do have the 45" G4 and have read most of threads, I believe that the models are extremly similar and so would share similar issues.

I think that the only 3 issues that come up are:

Noise from colourwheel, this is I understand common, but how noticable is variable, but I believe recent batches are better.
Some people think the sound is "weedy" when using the integral speakers, can't really comment as I have a pretty good AV set up, so in comparison it is weak, but so are all tellys.
Lastly is an issue with white light flashes or lines when using component video or VGA link, this appears to be a very limited problem (although I have the component flash) I believ it's down to individual faults with the connections.
Mine is being replaced on Friday because of the flash, will let you know how new one is on all issues

I definitely have the hum, but I don't count this as a particular problem, see my post above.

I have never tried the internal speakers, the screen looks heaps better without the speakers on the side, and I have a decent sound system.

I have my Buffalo LinkTheatre attached by component and have never seen any white lines or flashes but I am using decent quailty cables. The LinkTheatre is a progressive scan DVD player (no upscaling) as well as a network device allowing me to stream video, photos and music from my PC.

Tony

Go_Deano

Established Member
Well i managed to talk the saleman from Comet into giving me a £100 quid off making it £1499 and i got a free monster DVI > HDMI conection too. I run my TV through my PC so im sure the noise from the TV will not be nioticeable over the PC noise anyway, and ive got to admit that the picture quality is outstanding on the HD feeds that comet have. I was swithering between the new sony and samsung 50" DLP, but chose the sagem with 5 year guarentee for two reasons.

1. Picture Quality is just amazing
2. 2 x HDMI inputs. I need these as my cable TV comes in through my PC and secondly im getting an XBOX360 on monday which is gonna be hooked up via HDMI, so again this beats both the sony and samsung which only have one HDMI. Also with the 5 year guarentee Comet DOES cover the bulbs so im pretty sure at sometime the bulb will go, (approx £200 for new one) so as far as im conscerened its the only time ive ever taken extended warrany but in this case its gonna be worth every penny. Its £260 by the way which can be paid by DD over a year.

Boris Blank

Prominent Member
Tonywrj said:
I didn't make myself clear. I actually paid £1699 only to notice that Comet reduced the price to £1599 about a day before mine was delivered. I should have waited another week to order.

Tony

Tony,
Check the back of the Comet Invoice - they have a 14 day price promise, if the price drops within that time they will refund the difference to you plus 10%!
Paul

T

Tonywrj

PaulB said:
Tony,
Check the back of the Comet Invoice - they have a 14 day price promise, if the price drops within that time they will refund the difference to you plus 10%!
Paul
Paul,

Thanks for the information. I got onto the phone to Comet immediately and arranged the refund. As it was not a price match from another shop I only got the £100 and not the 10%.

Thanks a million, I can afford a new scanner now. :clap:

Tony

L

Lyndon

Had mine 1 week, it replace the older 50" model
Much better picture quality and ready for Sky broadcast in HD (unlike the earlier model).
Tends to hum, Comet said it was the fan! Found that it is a lot to do with the stand as well.
If you tilt the TV slightly forward the resonance goes away and you are just left with the normal fan sound not the booming. This sorted the problem as far as I was concerned. Also, the integrated freeview receiver is very useful only needs 1 remote as well as TV listings for everything for the coming weeks.::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom