• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Screen Mounting - Help needed

nipbiplip

Prominent Member
Hi

I wish to mount a pj screen on my wall, but I have a picture rail running around all 4 walls.

Is there a way of, safely, making the screen housing 'stick out' from the wall, so that the screen drop misses the picture rail when it comes down? The screen housing will be fixed to the wall area above the rail.

Not sure if that makes any kind of sense, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm getting at!

Thanks in advance

mossym

Distinguished Member
can you not fix a baton to the wall at the height of the bottom and top of the scree, tne fix the screen to that?

nipbiplip

Prominent Member
Sounds great. What will this entail? You may now be getting the idea that i know Nowt about diy. This would be a correct assumption.

MattBennett

Established Member
Say the dado rail is 20mm proud from the wall. Go to B+Q/Wickes or where ever you get your DIY materials from. Make sure you buy a peice of wood that is 20mm thick. Screw this to the wall. Make sure it is well mounted with 3-4 good strong fittings sutible for your wall type. Then screw your PJ screen to the wooden batton.

nipbiplip

Prominent Member
Would it need to be one long piece of wood that runs the length of the screen, or would i get away with 2 seperate pieces at either end?

thelostprophet

Established Member
I would thing two seperate bits would be find tbh. Depends one how the screen fixes to the wall and where the mounting points are. If it has mouting points in the middle of the screen i would use a full length beam so it keeps the screen taught.

nipbiplip

Prominent Member
The screen has two mounting holes (one at each end), and has come with 2 screws that look like 'anchor bolts' (I think).

It would need to be 2 seperate pieces, as I should add that the screen is going across the top of a bay window, so there is no wall behind the middle, so to speak.

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. Keep it commin'!

mossym

Distinguished Member
what more do you need? get the two pieces of wood, fasten to the wall at the correct spacing to fit your holes, then fit the screen to the pieces of wood. is the wall block or stud partition?

MattBennett

Established Member
If you are drilling above a window there may well be a lintle. Which could be metal or very hard concerete or both. If you struggle to get in you might need to buy/hire an SDS drill which has a bit more grunt.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom