Screen / Monitor

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by RichIbizaSport, Mar 20, 2006.

1. RichIbizaSport

RichIbizaSport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. New here so go easy on me! ive recently been looking at buying an xbox 360. Im sure i'll take the plunge soon but could do with abit more info about the display options.

Being a student i dont have a rediculous amount of money to throw about so im trying to do everything as cheap as possible :) .

I currently have a cheap 21" tv screen, and two LCD pc monitors one 17", the other 19". Im guessing playing the xbox 360 on the cheap 21" tv screen is pretty rubbish. So im thinking about using one of the pc monitors, as i certainly dont have £500 odd for a HDTV!

Now as i understand it is possible to connect to a pc monitor via a VGA connector? Is that the only piece of equipment i will need? Also will the quality be any better when compared to the 21" tv screen?

If i do manage to connect one of the pc monitors will it actually be classed as HD?

Also im looking for a reasonably cheap 5.1 surround sound speaker system (i have 5.1 speakers for the pc, but i assume they wont works as there is no optical cable in) so could anyone suggest one for about £75-£100? or am i way out price wise?

Thanks in advance guys!
    Rich

2. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I use vga on a 19" and it looks razor sharp but the colours appear muted via vga (get the oficial vga lead for best results). It is HD in so much as its hi definition, in fact it'll be higher definition than a regular hd set (its not truly hd in terms of hdcp etc, but so what). Try it on the 21" set to check how bad you feel the colours are for yurself.

3. Chaplain

Chaplain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD 19inch + joytech VGA lead = very nice picture.

Also, ive been looking at the Creative GD580 for cheap surround. Retails for about £120 but ive seen it on BO @ EBAY for £60. IIRC, has optical ins etc.

4. safekidda

safekidda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It'll look much better in terms of resolution but i personally think its no-where near as good as a proper hdtv setup. I have a top of the range sony sd tv and standard pc monitor. I use my monitor most of the time as it does look better, but for some games i use the normal tv with an advanced scart cable and it does still look excellent, colours/textures look so much better.

5. RichIbizaSport

RichIbizaSport
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the input guys. Think i'll give the VGA cable a go then. and wait for HDTV's to come down ALOT in price :) .

Two of you guys have commented on the VGA cable, which you would say is best? The official M$ one or joytech etc?

As for 5.1 sound, is the only way to get it via an optical cable? Is there no convertor or anything like that?

Ive currently got this connected up to my pc:

Desktop Theater 5.1 DTT2200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there no way i can connect it to the xbox 360 for 5.1 sound? Seems an awful waste having to buy a completly new set of speakers :eek:

Thanks again :thumbsup:

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    There is no way to get 5.1 unless you use the optical output.

7. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Monitor looks great!! I know this because..

I bought Burnout at the weekend and it looked incredibly dark. I phoned MS and they reconed it was my lead. Even though i was using the official rgb scart, they asked me to send back the original lead you get with the premium pack and they would send a replacement. :rolleyes: Sooo, missus picked up a parcel today they tried to deliver yesterday, and they have only gone and sent the official VGA lead instead! lol. so, i tried it on our cheap 17inch LCD monitor and wow, it looked loads sharper.

Question is... is this monitor ok to buy for it http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?ace-tft19w&P=4

Thanks, and good luck with the monitor mate.

8. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I would say sell one of your PC monitors, and use some of the money on a 360. Plus borrow some money from you Mum and Dad, then pay them back at a later date.

But is your 2 monitors both TFT or are they LCD mate.

9. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I use a joytech VGA cable to connect my 360 to my Dell 2405 and am happy with the picture considering the amount of scaling being done to fill the 1920x1200 display.

TVR_Fan, TFT and LCD tend to be used as generic terms for the same thing. In addition as TFT's are a type of LCD display asking whether a display is TFT or LCD is unlikely to get much of an answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

10. Lloydbo

Lloydbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was just wondering if its possible to use my old 19inch CRT pc monitor to play xbox360 on it, it doesnt have a vga out on it just the vga cable that plugs into my pc... what do i need to buy to get working on a xbox360?

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    If you buy the Official MS VGA Cable then it comes with an adapter to allow you to connect it to the cable end that normally plugs into your PC.

12. Lloydbo

Lloydbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. royster

royster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm you get the adaptor. In the box you will get a gender bender as its called and also a adaptor to convert 2 phono plug audio connectors to a 3.5mm audio jack.

14. Lloydbo

Lloydbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that , gonna get the cable off ebay tonight :thumbsup:

15. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    Be carefull when buying from eBay because even though most will say what brand of cable it is, some will just include a picture of the official one even though that isnt what they have.

16. jonnydynamite

jonnydynamite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I got the Joytech one and hooked it up to my 17" LCD and it looks great. Had to buy a gender adaptor (from Maplins) for about a fiver since I didn't realise it didn't come with one. If I was doing it all again I would go for an official MS one if it comes with the gender adaptor as it'll probably work out the same price. The joytech one also doesn't include the phono adaptor which you might need if you want to plug it into your pc for the sound. I hooked my audio leads up to the back of my hi-fi and it sounds great. All in all I recommend going for a MS VGA lead to the larger of the monitors.