1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen/Monitor for HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ndenbow, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    All,

I'm looking to configure a PC for use in my kitchen. Usage will be mainly TV (DVB/Analogue) and music, but might want to watch the occasional DVD.

What display device do most people use? TFT PC Monitor (like the kind I use at work), or are there some good widescreen monitors? If I choose widescreen, do I have to consider special display drivers etc?

Also is touch screen an option, or am I best to just use an IR remote control? Do IR remote controls come with a remote sensor, if I decide to hide my PC?

New to this, and help and experience appreciated.

Nick.

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A TFT PC monitor would work fine, widescreen would only require the latest drivers to support a monitor on a modern graphics card, using a LCD TV as a monitor may prove more complicated to get an exact picture with powerstrip required in some cases.

Touch screen is an option but then your limited to the size and quality of the monitor; if your looking for a dual display setup then a smaller touch screen with a larger primary display is an option. Personally I would either go with an imon where the remote sensor can be positioned away from the main unit in line of sight. An RF compatible PC remote is also an option allowing you to hide the reciever behind a cupboard (the ATI remote wonder for example). Personally I'm happy with a generic IR sensor (pretty small and can be picked up on eBay for a few quid) and a universal remote which works just fine for my needs.