Screen material?

osmononame

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all,

About 15 months ago I got round to building a multi purpose games/ht room in my attic. Not the dedicated room I would have liked but we can't have it all.

The room is split down the middle with a pool table on one side and the PJ on the other side. Owing to the slope/shape of the room I went with a custom DIY built screen at 120 using regular blackout cloth. The projector I have been using is a Mitsu HC4000. The ceiling is white and the walls magnolia so not ideal but we have blackout blinds on the Velux windows so at least the PJ can be used at any time of the day.

I have been slowing upgrading my system so first it was speakers, then amp, power amp, htpc and the time has come for me to look at the screen. The blackout cloth was originally meant to be a stop gap but to be honest I have been more than happy with the picture I am getting with the HC4000/screen combo.

So my question is, am I likely to see noticeable difference with the PJ I have if I go for some dedicated cloth or will it only be a small incremental improvement. Has anyone gone from using blackout cloth to dedicated cloth and how did you find it?

Not that much difference really, do something with the colour of your walls (make them much darker) will bring better results without it costing the earth.

In my loft room with dark walls etc, I went from blackout cloth to some 1.25 gain Draper M1300 material, and there was a nice improvement in brightness and colours, but the results you see will depend on the material you get. As you say though, the BO cloth is fantastic value for money, and you have to weight up if the cost is worth the relatively small improvement you get. For me it was, but it depends on the cost of the new material (mine was only £80 at the time IIRC)

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom