Screen Material - Vinyl

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fortean, Oct 22, 2005.

1. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I have just replaced my Owl Othello screen material with banner vinyl at less than £7 per square metre.
    When I tried a sample it showed better colour and brightness than the Owl screen.
    I temporarily fixed the new banner vinyl up last night, with selotape, whilst the kids watched Winnie the Pooh and it looked great, apart from some creases and a little distortion.
    I will post more info once I put the screen back on the ceiling.
    I also have some samples if anyone wants to do a comparison with their screen. It would be good to have some opinions from DLP/LCD PJ owners; mine is a CRT. The material is available on 3.2m rolls allowing a maximum screen size, in 16:9, of 3.2m (126") x 5.7m (224") giving a 257" diagonal screen.

2. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Temporarily fixing the screen up was not a good idea as it fell down and had more creases in it.
    Anyway, I removed the original screen from the Owl case and fixed the new screen in. It was a lot easier than I expected. The most difficult part is getting the bar at the bottom on level; I will have to do it again.
    The image is at least as good as the original Owl material, if not better. I noticed when it was up that I had not chosen blackout vinyl as the image could be seen from the reverse side. I'll try the blackout banner vinyl next.
    As far as I'm concerned though a replacement for an 8 foot wide 4:3 screen for less than £50 is excellent.
    You should be able to get hold of this material from any company that makes graphic vinyl banners. I bought the vinyl from http://www.imagegroupuk.com/ in Eccles, Manchester.