1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Material Recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by biggygiant, Jul 29, 2003.

1. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I know this has been discussed in some other forums - but I need more direct advice to my circumstances...

I'm looking at building my own fixed screen for my living room but need some help choosing the best screen material.

Parameters:
    Sony VPL-HS10 projector (WXGA, 1200 Lumens, 700:1 contrast)
    Viewing angles will be up to 50 (and sometimes more) degrees
    Viewing distance is min 2 metres, and max 3 metres
    The room has large windows, with thick (but white) curtains, so a fair amount of ambient light is common during the day
    The max screen size (excluding surround) is 175 cm wide (80" 16:9 equivalent)

So my questions are,

1) Can I use a micro-perf screen - or will I see moire effects?
    ( I am less worried about acoustic performance - I do not want any visual deterioration for using a perforated screen)
    ( a perf screen is not a must, but a very nice to have)
    2) Should I use a white, grey, or silver screen?
    3) What gain should the screen have?
    4) Thus - which screen materials would you reccommend?

thanks!

/Martin

2. mortonman

mortonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin,

After much deliberation and questions on this subject I went for the Harkess Hall Perlux 1.4 gain and made a 7ft 16:9 screen and am well impressed even before it is set up correctly. Depends how much you want to spend but I'm happy !

Matt

3. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an HS10 and a 2m wide screen made of blackout material - and I'm happy too!

4. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called HarknessHall and asked them to send me a sample of Matt Preview and Perlux140 so I can try and decide between a matt white and higher-gain screen material... Will let you know what I find out...

Can anyone tell me why in god's name a fixed wood screen from a company (like harkness hall) costs £600 or more for something I can cobble together at home for £50??

5. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also - any idea where I can get good quality, straight and true timber for the frame?

Went to B&Q today and the quality was shockingly bad...

I live in W4 if it helps...

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I bought some 69mm x 18mm wood from B&Q for my 84" wide screen. It seemed pretty straight too. There is a tiny amount of bend that has occured since I made it (3 years ago now), but I took care of it by using velcro to stick it to the wall - the screen wall is black carpet. :)

If the wood is slighly bent, you can always screw some aluminium angle to the back of it to straighten it out. Most screen frames are aluminium IIRC because it doesn't warp.

Gary.