1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen material for Sony HS50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KWB, Aug 24, 2005.

1. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony HS50 projector and currently use a homemade screen using blackout material.

The frame is well made and attaches to the wall with brackets and picture quality is acceptable. I am considering changing the blackout material for professional screen material and would like to know if anybody can recommend a supplier and type of material that will work well with the HS50 and the following conditions:

1) Dedicated room with one window, which I cover with blackout material and thick curtains resulting in no external light spill.

2) The room is painted in a light cream colour and I do not have the option to change this without serious nagging!!

Any recommendations??

Thanks

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    What's your screen budget?
    Are you looking to keep your frame, buy a new fixed frame screen or get a manual pull down or electric? Also, what size of screen?

As an HS50 owner myself I'd go for a 1.0 gain screen. However the type of material available to you will depend on your installation requirements and budget.

The other thing you need to consider is where you are projecting from... i.e. ceiling or table? Some screens reflectance is optimised when projecting from one point or another.

A complex subject and I've learned the hard way in the past.

3. BlueNote 39

BlueNote 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Kwb,
    I was faced with a silmilar dilemma albeit not as complicated as yours, (SWMBO) I have a dedicated room for my HC.The material I went for was from Ellie ,I opted for the 1.2 gain.From memory total cost to roughly cover an 8ft screen was about £95.I am pleased with the choice ,my HS50 projects a great image on the screen.As jules says there are a number of contribuiting factors which need to be thrown into the mix prior to deciding.

If interested the link is here:

http://www.ellie.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_portable.html

Hope that helps.

Gurdip.

4. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I have looked at the elle website but was unsure of what gain material would work well with the HS50.

Just to clarify I plan to keep the existing frame I have already made and just recover with the new material.

I have some velvet flok tape I purchased to use with some screen goo but never got around to it. This will be used for the border when I get the new material. My screen is 6'6" across at the moment (16:9) and I plan to keep the size the same.

Any more info would be appreciated.

PS Digital grey screen goo is for sale in the classifieds if anybody is interested...

5. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I replaced the blackout material on my homemade screen this weekend with draper m1300 and was very impressed with the improvement, the image is more colourful, has better shadow detail and (although I'm sure it's not really the case given it has higher gain) even the blacks look better. 80" Diagonal btw.

The draper is 1.3 gain so I'm sure that the ellie 1.2 would be fine.

6. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I will have a look at the draper website (is this where you got the material from?).

Thanks

7. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunatly, no. The only place I found that sold it as material only (it's used on their onyx screens) is crtprojectors.co.uk.

They won't ship as it's not worth the hassle for them - the material is very sensitive (I can attest to that), it gets creased, dented etc and they apparently take a while to come out.

I got a friend to drive up there (about as far from London as you can get in Norfolk) and get some. Unless you can get up there easily, go for something else. I was just saying the gain would be fine for you.