1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen masking border

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by squid, Feb 20, 2002.

1. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 4:3 screen 77" wide sceen (da-lite model B). i was thinking of getting one a bit smaller . not so much for myself but for the wife who thinks it a little big for the room

i was thinking rather than buying a new one i could make the masking on the screen i have a bit thicker . any idears ?

if it was a fixed screen there would not be a problem i would use some black velvet .but the screen is a pull down with a tv behind so needs to be up when watching normal tv

i just thought i would just ask if anyone has done this and what the used :)

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How about a black roller blind with whole cut out you could then pull that down in front of the screen for the smaller image.

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could be an idear . if i could get my hands on a black blind . i wanted one for the window behind the screen but aftyer a lot of window shopping i had to go with a forest green one as i just could not get black .

i have seen small ones around but not in the sort of size i would need unless i had one made (i could get a new screen cheeper)

is there any sort of paint i could use ? what do the screen manufacturers use to make the boarders ??

if i did do somthing like stick velvet on the screen would this work or not :confused:

4. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've been looking into this myself. I am looking to purchase a Da-Lite Model B screen (widescreen), but can't work out why the widescreen version (45x80) is more expensive than the normal 4:3 version (60x80). ??

The difference in price is £212.80 (widescreen) to £176.70 (4:3). Since I would also need to add the cost of a 12" drop to the w/s version, bring it to £242.80 I have decided to purchase the 4:3 version and use a black fabric spray to turn it into the widescreen version with 12" extra drop I require !!

Fabric spray paint can be purchased from most hobby/craft stores asnd I think some larger DIY stores (B&Q).

Reckon I should save myself £65 less cost of paint & masking tape.:D

Winnie

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you sure these fabric paints would be ok on a screen . the material it is maid of is more of between a ruber and a paper .

i would worry about anything in the paint that could break down the surface :confused:

i would like to hear from somone who knows for sure befor i would go ahead. it could blister the screen and not take

what sort of paint is used by the manufacturers and where can you get your hands on it . i would rather have that . the other thing is can you actualy get matt black fabric paint