Screen Judder issue since installing Hd2400 card, Ideas please

Taz69

Hi all,

I have installed a Hd 2400 card into my HTPC which consists of 2gb ram, AMd 4800 cpu, now I get screen judder and the playback size is very narrow compared to before.

I am using Vista MC with Media Browser, the problem is there all the time, be it dvd's, Mkv etc, I tried GOM player with some 720p and 1080p mkv files, the 720p played smooth, the 1080p struggled with audio.

What is best to change, the Graphics card, the MB, the one I have is the Gigabyte with on-board Hdmi, I think its the 580 chipset or is the problem due to coreavc and media centre?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
So you've got a plasma with 1024x768 resolution. Is it connected via HDMI? What resolution are you running at? I'd suggest setting the ATI Catayst settings to 720p or 1080p at 50Hz.

Have you disabled the onboard graphics? Have you rerun the Configure Monitor wizard in Media Center?

Last edited:

Taz69

So you've got a plasma with 1024x768 resolution. Is it connected via HDMI? What resolution are you running at? I'd suggest setting the ATI Catayst settings to 720p or 1080p at 50Hz.

Have you disabled the onboard graphics? Have you rerun the Configure Monitor wizard in Media Center?

Hi mate,

Yes the Plasma is 1024x768, its also linked to an AX200e PJ which is 1280x720, I have set the catalyst to 720p50, not seen anywhere to disable the onboard VGA, I have not rerun the media monitor wizard, will try that tonight.

Mark

mdbarber

2400 is an old card but wouldn't thought it would judder at taht res, have you downloaded the right drivers from the ati/amd website or are you just using vista wdm drivers, if so get downloading

Taz69

Hiya guys,
I have ran the wizard in MCE again and that has cured that issue, however the 1080p files still stutter, I have downloaded Catalyst 9.2 I think, its the latest version according to the ATI site.
So it looks like I will have to get a better card after all, trouble is I am limited in a way as the pc is under the stairs and is connected to the amp via component cables and not hdmi. Hence why the 2400 was a good option as it supports component out via the svideo connector, are there any other ATI cards that do this ?

Thanks
Taz

Taz69

Hi mate,

Its the AMd x2 4800, not sure if cool and quiet is enabled don't think so, the files are .mkv format.

Thanks

mdbarber

go into the bios and disable the cool and quiet, it seems to have helped others using on-board video solutions so may be a similar issue.
What codec setup are you using for the mkv's?

Taz69

I am using CoreAVC for the mkv's

Taz

Taz69

I have disabled the coolnquiet in the bios, it was on auto, no difference.

So I have now installed a Hd4350 I had originally purchased for the job and moved the pc near to the Amp so its via Hdmi.

It still stutters when playing back 1080p files, if it has dts then its totally out of control, lol.

1 thing though when I play certain files in MCE it crashes then it says restart the program. If I play the same file in GOM it plays but not very well.

This is really starting to drive me crazy, should I go and get a Intel chip and board is the AMd the problem or my motherboard.

Taz

mdbarber

can't see it m8, i have 2 amd based htpcs and neither give me any probs both play 1080p fine with media portal and 1 only uses onboard video..
not a 32 bit codec on 64 bit system problem?

Taz69

Nope, 32bit codec ands its a 32bit Vista, I am doing a fresh install of Vista now on a different hard drive.

What codecs do you use ?

Taz

mdbarber

i just use the k-lite pack and matroshka/haali splitter me a pauper ;) i did have proplems with an ati 1250 chipset tho thats why i went amd/nvidia.

Taz69

Well, after a fresh install of Vista and K-lite codec pack and setting up the ac3filter etc, the 4350 is now playing 1080p files, if I try and skip forward a few minutes it takes a second or 2 to catch up but I can live with that.

Now I need to sort out a desktop case so the pc can live in the lounge as I will have to use the hdmi lead as the 4350 does not have component output.

Anyway thanks for the help and tips.

Taz

Taz69

Yes I did mate, any reason ?

Taz

mdbarber

Well vista and on have the amd c&q driver already in, whereas you have to manually install it in XP.
might be the driver is installed and is not removed when you turn it off in bios.
bit like cd rom drives, windows will detect them even if disabled in bios.
Only way to find out i suppose is re-enable it in bios and see if it occurs again ;)
so you are now using the klite pack instead of coreavc?

Taz69

Ok I see why you asked now, lol.

Yes at the moment I am using the k-lite pack and ac3filter instead of Coreavc, waste of money I know but its working, lol.

Not sure if to try the hd2400 so I can stick under the stairs again or just leave it in the lounge, lol, you know the old saying "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it"
Taz

mdbarber

yeah think i'd be leaving it alone now :arty::arty: (lol prob not)

thing is with vga cards from diff manufacturers/chip series1 driver version doesn't always do the trick, gl with the rest

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom