Screen jitter issues with PS5 on LG C9 OLED

surfvvax

Novice Member
I recently purchased a PS5 and was excited to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 on my LG OLED C9. I got everything hooked up, and let everything setup to the detected hardware and the recommended settings. My LG C9 brought up a notice stating that it was switching to “HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color” setting, which is the first time I have seen this setting on my TV, but understand that it is necessary to display the best possible picture. After everything was finished setting up, I started playing a couple of games (God of War with PS5 4k 60fps patch, and Astro’s Playroom) and immediately noticed something was off with both games. The refresh rate is slightly jittery and not silky smooth like it should be at 60fps, which both games claim to be able to achieve. The screen motion is even slightly jittery in the PS5 user interface, which is not a graphically demanding application at all. That suggests to me that the input device is struggling to accept the high bandwidth signal from the PS5. Even my PS4 Pro looked much smoother with God of War running in performance mode, which doesn’t even achieve a consistent 60fps. I turned on both the PS5 and PS4 Pro, and switched between HDMI channels to do a direct head to head comparison, just to make sure I wasn’t going crazy. The PS5 is noticeably running choppy and jittery compared to the PS4 Pro. I understand that the PS4 Pro is far less demanding, and only utilizes HDMI 2.0 output with lower screen resolution, but that shouldn’t matter since the PS5 and LG C9 both claim to be able to handle the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.1. I have tried setting it up with both the supplied HDMI 2.1 cable that comes with the PS5, and a more robust Audioquest “Forest 48” cable, which claims to be able to handle 8K/10k 48Gbps data transfer. I also tried all the different HDMI inputs on my LG OLED C9, despite the claim that they all have HDMI 2.1 functionality. As expected, I encountered the same issue on all ports. Also of note, I am hooking up directly from the PS5 to the C9 HDMI ports. The software version I am running for the LG C9 is 05.00.03, which is apparently the latest.

After some online research, it turns out the only way to address this problem (that I found) is to go into the PS5 “Screen and Video” menu and access the "4k video transfer rate" setting, and switch it from the default “Automatic”, which is full RGB 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, to “-1”, which restricts it to YUV422 chroma subsampling. After trying this, it did address the jitter issues, but the colors are noticeably less deep and vibrant now. Switching it to “-1” compresses the chroma subsampling down to 4:2:2 (from the default RGB 4:4:4), which downgrades the color reproduction noticeably, and restricts the overall bandwidth transfer down to HDMI 2.0, effectively removing the HDMI 2.1 functionality from a TV which claims to have fully HDMI 2.1 capabilities. This also means I won’t be able to achieve 4k at 120Hz. You can see the full list of limitations here I found under “4k video transfer rate”:

Another thing I noticed when switching it from “Automatic” to "-1" is that the sound volume noticeably decreases, which also suggests audio compression.

While changing the 4k video transfer rate down to “-1” does address the refresh rate and jitter issue, it is obviously not the ideal solution, and seems to only be a “fix” aimed at TVs which do not offer HDMI 2.1 support. Has anyone else had similar issues with their LG C9 OLED? I’ve found a couple of similar issues here on Reddit, but I have not found any good solutions, aside from lowering the chroma subsampling, which basically just turns your C9 back to HDMI 2.0 TV. The LG C9 claims to support HDMI 2.1 functionality, but this experience is making me doubt that claim.

Edit: This issue has been solved. For anyone else who experiences this, set your "Picture Mode Setting" might be in Standard Mode. It needs to be in Game Mode. I figured the TV would preset, but that was the one thing it didn't automatically preset to.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
It's not the TV its a known bug in PS5 that others have encountered.

The 9 series have 48gbps HDMI 2.1 ports which PC GPU's like RTX 3000 series can fully utilize.

The PS5's have 32gbps HDMI 2.1 ports so its bandwidth is well under the maximum of the 9 series ports.

You will have to wait for Sony to fix it most likely or LG tries to address it themselves from their end if possible but that's even more unlikely I'd wager.

Doctor Hades

Daft question but you are using Game mode with your PS5?

By default, the PS5 does not auto switch to Game mode and using any other picture mode such as Standard or Cinema can add a lot of latency and make the games look very odd in motion. The PS5 does not support auto low latency mode (ALLM ) like the Xbox One and Series consoles so the TV does not automatically switch modes.

I accidentally left Cinema mode on after watching a BD on my PS5 and when I played Assassin's Creed: Valhalla the game felt and looked absolutely dreadful in motion. Once I switched back to Game mode then everything was fine.

This is on an LG B9 by the way.

The PS5 only supports 32 GB/sec currently and this is way below the 40 GB/sec of your TV's HDMI 2.1 ports so you should still be able to use 4K @ 60 Hz with no issues as it only requires just over 20 GB/sec with full 4:4:4 chromasampling (see this calculator for how it is worked out: HDMI 2.1 Bandwidth Calculator). You should not have to change the Auto setting.

4K @ 120 Hz with 10bit HDR is the only setting on my B9 TV that does not output at 4:4:4 on my PS5 and instead drops to 4:2:2 to fit within the PS5's HDMI 2.1 spec (26.73 GB/sec).

Last edited:

surfvvax

Novice Member
Daft question but are using Game mode with your PS5?

By default, the PS5 does not auto switch to Game mode and using any other picture mode such as Standard or Cinema can add a lot of latency and make the games look very odd in motion. The PS5 does not support auto low latency mode (ALLM ) like the Xbox One and Series consoles so the TV does not automatically switch modes.

I accidentally left Cinema mode on after watching a BD on my PS5 and when I played Assassin's Creed: Valhalla the game felt and looked absolutely dreadful in motion. Once I switched back to Game mode then everything was fine.

This is on an LG B9 by the way.

The PS5 only supports 32 GB/sec currently and this is way below the 40 GB/sec of your TV's HDMI 2.1 ports so you should still be able to use 4K @ 60 Hz with no issues as it only requires just over 20 GB/sec with full 4:4:4 chromasampling (see this calculator for how it is worked out: HDMI 2.1 Bandwidth Calculator). You should not have to change the Auto setting.

4K @ 120 Hz with 10bit HDR is the only setting on my B9 TV that does not output at 4:4:4 on my PS5 and instead drops to 4:2:2 to fit within the PS5's HDMI 2.1 spec (26.73 GB/sec).
Not a daft question at, since that turned out to be exactly what was wrong. :)

Nikkk

Novice Member
After serious testing with old and nieuw games I am proud to share a solution. The even most positive thing is: I must not use GAME mode on the TV. Result: we can choose again our own favourite motion blur routines like in the past. And I can continue to use technicolor expert mode for the PS, which has more options than game mode.

PS5 settings:

4K transfer rate: -1
Adjust HDR: do it after all settings are done
RGB range: Limited (---> on LG TV black point LOW)
sound: had to set it to dolby or dts. otherwise no sound

LG Oled C9:

any picture mode except GAME mode.
audio: HDMI ARC "through". eARC ON
choose whatever motion mode you prefer.

i am so happy i can use the PS5 the same way i used the PS4 Pro with the Oled.
LG has such a fantastic motion blur, that even with 60fps i would not want to miss it!
it can, because now GAME mode is off....!

nik

surfvvax

Novice Member
After serious testing with old and nieuw games I am proud to share a solution. The even most positive thing is: I must not use GAME mode on the TV. Result: we can choose again our own favourite motion blur routines like in the past. And I can continue to use technicolor expert mode for the PS, which has more options than game mode.

PS5 settings:

4K transfer rate: -1
Adjust HDR: do it after all settings are done
RGB range: Limited (---> on LG TV black point LOW)
sound: had to set it to dolby or dts. otherwise no sound

LG Oled C9:

any picture mode except GAME mode.
audio: HDMI ARC "through". eARC ON
choose whatever motion mode you prefer.

i am so happy i can use the PS5 the same way i used the PS4 Pro with the Oled.
LG has such a fantastic motion blur, that even with 60fps i would not want to miss it!
it can, because now GAME mode is off....!

nik
So, I have actually resolved the issue, and it turns out my TV was not set to Game Mode in picture settings. Why do you not like using Game Mode? That solved the issue for me, and I didn't have to set the 4k transfer mode to -1, which limits the color output.

Nikkk

Novice Member
So, I have actually resolved the issue, and it turns out my TV was not set to Game Mode in picture settings. Why do you not like using Game Mode? That solved the issue for me, and I didn't have to set the 4k transfer mode to -1, which limits the color output.
game mode worked only with „new“ 60 frames games. 30 frames games have ugly judder. even with 60 frame games i enjoy the dejudder options with game modes other than “game”

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom