Screen Issue: Black Keeps Turning To Red

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by -ScarFace-, Aug 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is an issue with the tv. Every now n then the picture goes very very odd and wont return to normal unless i turn it off n on a few times. What happens is, all the black in the picture goes kinda red and glowing, its very very odd. Now it happend a few times within the first few weeks but this current week its happend alot and for the first time this morning when i turned it on, it happend right away. Im getting worried as it seems to be increasing. Now im not to botherd if turning it off n on fixes it but im scared that one day it wont and it wont go away.

It happens on all formats, video game, dvd, digital tv.

Just imagine anything thats black on screen turns to a bright red and is kinda like a snowy effect

2. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitachi 37ld6600

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Sounds like one of the boards has failed/is failing in the TV - I wouldn't say it's a general fault for that model though, unless you're having it happen on a number of sets. Call Hitachi to get it fixed.

4. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What so i'll have to send it away?
    Will they be able to fix it or just send a new one ?
    Will it get worse n worse if i just leave it as it is ?

5. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, i dunno if this is normal or not but all four corners, when the picture is all black or its a night scene in a mover, they're barely black, like you alot lighter than the rest of the screen

6. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, why does turning it off n on again instantly fix it ?

7. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    1: Probably, I doubt it's something an engineer can just come round and fix.
    2: They'll have a go at fixing it most likely.
    3: Very likely to get worse, as it's something failing that hasn't completely gone yet.

Sounds like backlight bleeding - common on many LCDs. This is often due to the way the display is designed, and if it's in all four corners, that definitely sounds like the case with yours, rather than a fault. Some sets are better than others. (The V series BRAVIA I had was perfect, for example)

As I said, it sounds like something that is failing, not something that has completely gone yet, or it could be a firmware issue with the set and "resetting" the television fixes it. Either way, call Hitachi.

8. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for your help, i actually bought the tv 2months ago new from an ebaystore, i'll contact them as its still under warranty

9. MPerry10

MPerry10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had exactly the same problem with my Toshiba 20WLT56. The company I bought it from arranged for an engineer to look at it but it had to be taken away for repair. The report I got when the TV was returned said that they had had to replace the main chassis. My TV was only away for repair for just over 1 week.

I hope this is helpful

10. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. -ScarFace-

-ScarFace-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    called the shop and they said its a common n easy thing to fix, they're sending a parcelfirm to pick it up day after tomorrow.

total arseache though as its on the wall and the box is basicly buggerd, i'll have to tape it allllll up