1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen is going pink

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by iZombine, Mar 22, 2005.

1. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hello

My Sharp 32JF-73H screen is going pink. It gets to the point where the screen is so pink that there is no picture anymore. When I switch the TV on instead of it starting up with a blue screen like it always did, the screen is now green.

All the colour keeps fading as well, that's when the screen is going pink. I've only had the Tv for about 18 months and now it is out of it's year warranty.

I've phoned Sharp and they couldn't give a toss and just said get someone out to look at it but that's going to cost £30 just to get them to look at it.

Does anyone know if there is any thing I could do to fix it or what the problem is?

Thanks

2. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    :lease:

3. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Samsung which did this, all the whites had a pink tinge to them which got progressively worse. Eventually the picture took longer and longer to come on from start-up and it is now in a very sorry state not working at all, no sound just pictures. Not good news for you and I had the same couldn,t careless attitude from the Samsung customer care team.

If it,s any good to anyone for spares or repair please take it away, Samsung 28" w/s.

4. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Now that you mention it mine is taking longer to come on as well.

Not very happy at the moment, it's only 18 months old.

5. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doesn,t look good, I pestered Samsung with emails and phone calls weekly after my set went down after 16 months. They eventually and reluctantly arranged for a new tube to be fitted free. This new tube has now failed with the same problem after 12 months and they don,t want to know.
    Just ordered this;
    http://www.discounttv.co.uk/product/Panasonic_TX28DTX1_::_FREE_DVD_Player_::_3_YR_GTEE.html
    Best I could find and the 3 yr guarantee will help prevent the same happening again. Delivery due Wednesday.
    Don,t give Sharp an easy ride, you might just get them to stump up a free repair. Good luck.

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Best thing to do is call in a good engineer to take a look, it could be a faulty crt, if it is get the engineer to give you a report on the set and contact Sharp and complain bitterly (by mail) telling them their product should last a lot longer than 18 months.
    They have been known to give a free or vastly reduced cost crt although you may have to pay the fitting/labour charge.

7. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for replys.

I'm going to get an engineer out next week hopefully. I'll let you know what he thinks the problem is.

8. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Update

An engineer came out to look at the TV yesterday. which cost £47 and the guy was only here for 5 minutes. He says that the tube is going and to replace it it is going to cost about £400 for a new tube and then his charges on top of that. So every thing added up is going it's going to cost about £530 to repair a TV that cost £600 18 months ago.

Not happy!

Finally got hold of Sharp and spoke a guy who said it was because i had speaker to close to the TV. I had none next to it! So then he said it was because I had my VCR to close to it. LoL. So then I got Sharp to phone the engineer and then Sharp phoned me back saying I could buy a TV from them at a discounted price.

Still not happy!

Don't think I want to buy another Sharp TV.

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your set and the difficulties you have had with Sharp. From a distance it does sound indeed as though the crt in your set is faulty. If you have had this backed up by a written report from the engineer (who incidentally is being ridiculous in quoting your £400 for a new crt plus fitting) then I would suggest you contact Sharp by post/email inviting them to pay for the cost of fitting a new crt.

A new television set should not go faulty within 18 months and you are entitled to have it working and fully servicable for many years.

If Sharp do not 'play ball' then go to this site https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
    and use this very simple official site to claim the cost of the repairs from them (it will include your court costs). I have found this site/service very effective when dealing with reluctant companies. Regards, yt.

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    As Red16v says, that's ridiculous!

He obviously doesn't want the job and has quoted sky-high in order to put you off.

I'm sure you won't disappoint him!

Good luck. :)

11. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I should point out that I'm usually exceptionally patient with suppliers when it comes to problems like this and I'm the last person to suggest taking legal action - hence why even at this stage I think you should contact Sharp 'Officially' and ask what they propose to do about your problem. But, at some stage you have to use a big stick to encourage a solution. Regards, yt.