Question SCREEN INT COMPACT HOME CINEMA SCREEN 300 X 169CM 16:9 CHC300X169 or SAPPHIRE ELECTRIC 300X169CM PRO

Dicky654

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
One of those dilemmas that we all go through as middle aged home cinema enthusiasts when buying a next screen.
I currently have the Sapphire slow retraction 106” screen and will be looking to go larger at about 136” and looking at the two options:

SCREEN INT COMPACT HOME CINEMA SCREEN 300 X 169CM 16:9 CHC300X169 (about £1,200 with the UHD coating or SAPPHIRE ELECTRIC 300X169CM PRO (about £480)

The Sapphire screen on Just Projectors website doesn’t really highlight as UHD where as the Screen International one has an option for UHD coating.

Sapphire is less than half the price and would prefer to go with them as I trust the quality, however if anyone has experience with the Screen International brand and if the image is much better then would look at this.

I am using with the Optoma UHD 51.

So my questions are:

Would the 4K image be wasted on the bigger Sapphire screen?

Is the Screen International really £700 better than the Sapphire screen?

Has anyone who has a 4K projector and had it calibrated with a Sapphire screen and been fine with the picture? ( happy to hear from any calibration experts as well!)

Appreciate your experience and wisdom all! :thumbsup:

Hi there,
I'm also interested in going up from existing 98" wide to a larger screen and would be interested in how you got on. Did you make a purchase in the end and if so, what did you decide to go for?

Hi there,
I'm also interested in going up from existing 98" wide to a larger screen and would be interested in how you got on. Did you make a purchase in the end and if so, what did you decide to go for?
Hi Simon1967
Sadly no one has replied, have to say the passion and enjoyment that there used to be in the forums in 2012 when getting my Optoma HD33 or in 2016 when I bought my LG E6 seems to have fallen away from these forums I will speak to the seller next week to see if the Sapphire screen is good enough for 4K / UHD and my Optoma UHD51 or the more expensive option and will update you.

This is an odd one kinda if reminds me of some pj screen adverts that say 1080p compatible, sounds to me that's it's more of a sales pitch than a fact, Uhd coating......

Perhaps you'd be best asking this question in the epson 9400 thread, whilst it's not the same pj, it's a slightly better one and a very active thread so perhaps you'd get more feed back in relation to the pj screen your enquiring about.

Hi Simon1967
Sadly no one has replied, have to say the passion and enjoyment that there used to be in the forums in 2012 when getting my Optoma HD33 or in 2016 when I bought my LG E6 seems to have fallen away from these

I don't think that is entirely true, but we've moved into the era of big TV screens and so projectors have become more of a niche product. There are also a lot of screen brands out there that from my research seem to be re-badged versions of the same screen. Some even have the same or very similar model numbers - Sapphire and Metroplan for example - it may be worth looking around for similar models and comparing reviews.

at a fast look it looks like the cheap screen is a neutral gain scren and the expensive one a 1,2 gain screen, for a DLP projector you need all the help you can get to maintain some low level performance, so a lower gain like 0,8 or 0,9 might be a idea.
if the screen dont bleed or have some sort of rough surface, like holed sound transparent screen the resolution is mostly a sales gimick, a 20 year old neutral gain screen can be as 4K capable as anything new, think you need to figure out how much light you want on your screen, and what the projector can deliver calibrated, and calculate how low you can go in gain on your screen.

Hi Simon1967
Sadly no one has replied, have to say the passion and enjoyment that there used to be in the forums in 2012 when getting my Optoma HD33 or in 2016 when I bought my LG E6 seems to have fallen away from these forums I will speak to the seller next week to see if the Sapphire screen is good enough for 4K / UHD and my Optoma UHD51 or the more expensive option and will update you.

Many thanks for letting me know but unfortunately I don't have the throw distance to go bigger. I am changing from a CRT to a digital and mistakenly thought that the zoom feature would allow me to project much larger. Apparently not so I'm stuck with my measly 98".

Update: So finally but the bullet and purchased the 136” screen :) (first image is original 106” screen to show size
F2E42CFB-8B28-4414-A107-91AC78A510DD.jpeg
6257D7D8-82C3-48BE-81C3-E750A2F67784.jpeg
0FCFD08F-DBE0-4EE9-B7F1-FD689843353B.jpeg
8445DA14-C87F-47B0-88C7-D533E9851809.jpeg
difference) and am happy so far, still need to tweak the settings a bit but Thor Ragnorok 4K Blu-ray looked fantastic and to have it stretched across the width of the room was a great spectacle.
The light border you get with the Optoma UHD51 is more noticeable however once you start watching a movie you soon forget about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom