1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen infront of bay window

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mikeg247, May 11, 2004.

1. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a LCD projector but the screen would have to pull down infront of a bay window. Does anyone else have this and if so does the light behind the screen affect the performance in anyway?
    Obviously there are curtains at the window but some light still filters through, and I work nights so a fair bit of movie watching takes place during daylight hours.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Any ambient light in the room has a pretty catastrophic effect on the image quality. We've got heavy lined curtains (not blackout yet) in front of our patio doors and rear window, but the during daylight hours I'd say the image quality suffers by about 50%.
    At the very least you'll need proper blackout lining in your curtains, or ideally some close fitting blackout roller blinds.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    your solution will be fine in low anbient light if this is the only window to the room, but as said any direct sunlight to that window will cause problems if light leakage is not completely blacked out.

while you will see an image it will look washed out. but if the screen covers the walls away from the window you should be ok

4. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
  5. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    for some reason the URL doesn't work. Check out the "Ok, let's see yours" thread in this bit of the forum, it's on the first page

Cheers all

6. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Feel a lot better now :thumbsup:

Mike

7. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,621
    hey mike,
    I'm just using card at the moment. I'm changeing to blackout material within the next week. I have two pieces of wood either side of my window about 2cms x 8cms, I have had loads of ideas for it but blackout material seems to be the best option.

I have a large window right behiind the area I need the screen which is why I opted for blackout material, as well as following advice from these forums.

I contemplated using velcro strips down either side of the wood, so that it could be taken down and rolled away somwhere. The only problem was I am too frightened that it would crease, so, I have decided to get the material for about £22 and some wood about £10 to build a frame.

Which I would then hang like a picture frame from the exsisting wood. Which would be cheaper than a blind/screen to the size that I want it (10'2"x5'8") which is quite big.

Doing it this size means that I would have to make a join in the material, as i have done with the card. But I dont notice the join so it doesnt really bother me.

I am posting pics in the "ok let's see yours" thread and may post a thread dedicated to my personal setup etc... if it is compulsery

hope this is of some help

tris

8. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    I had exactly the same problem, projector firing towards a bay.

But to be honest its actually worked out fine.

see my post in "ok, lets see yours! <<<lots of pictures, 56k beware!!>>>"

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...p?s=&threadid=105037&perpage=15&pagenumber=10

as you can see the screen hangs just inside the bay behind a curtain valance so when its not in use its out of the way.

I did have to use black out curtains behind the normal ones for watching during daylight, but the projection screen also acts as blind