Screen help needed! pls help

Ewan154

Hi!
I'm trying to buy my first pj screen-can anyone pls help?

I'm not very sure- do I measure the viewing Size or or the whole image? (including the black border)

The length from the PJ to the wall is 315cm

The PJ is an Epson TW10H

Ewan154

I have measured the viewing picture (without border)

The measurement are:
185 *103cm.

The olny problem is I can't find a screen that size 185*103cm. Do I have to pick a bigger screen ?

Pls help :lease:

fortean

Ewan154

Hi!

Have you used owl?

fortean

I have 2 Owl screens. A 7' and and 8'. So what that means is I can't give a comparative opinion about them as I have no idea how good other screens are. I have just replaced the screen material on the 8' Owl Othello with some banner vinyl which is just as good as the original material. I might replace that soon or I might make a fixed frame screen.

Nick_T

Standard Member
I have an Epson TW10 (no H) and I have just got myself a ceiling (or wall) mounted screen from DRH Screens (www.drhscreens.co.uk) after researching this subject on the forums. I ordered the screen on Thursday (along with a universal projector ceiling mount they do) and it arrived on Friday. Their customer service is very good an they answered my questions very promptly over email. I had the screen and projector mount fitted on Saturday and am very impressed, especially for the price! £158 all in (including next day delivery and VAT) I paid (with an extra £30 for the projector mount). For this I got the ‘Slimline’ 16:9 screen with a viewing area of 203cm x 114cm (with 4cm black borders all round and a 45cm black border at the top).

I started a few threads myself on screen choice over the last couple of weeks. I came to the conclusion that DRH Screens was one of the popular screen manufacturers for people on AVForums for the budget I was looking at (< £200). I did also consider Beamax. One of the hardest things for me to decide was the screen size. Using the manual zoom on the lens of the Epson you can create a pretty big picture, in fact my projector is mounted at just over 3m (about the same as you) and I wouldn't have been able to get the screen much smaller than 203cm across! I was tempted by the bigger screen (231cm across) as the projector could easily project a picture that big. As I only sit about 3.20m from the screen the bigger screen was not recommended when using the THX optimum viewing angle rule (and general rule) which is basically: minimum comfortable viewing distance (and optimum viewing distance) from the screen = 1.5 x screen width. So I went with the 203cm wide screen. So take this into account when deciding on a screen to get.

I've now watched a few DVDs on the screen and I am very impressed. If I had used a bigger screen with my projector, screen door would have started to become an issue and I also think I would end up with a neck ache.

I’m not sure what kind of screen you are thinking of getting but DRH Screens also do a whole range of different screens from tripod to fixed to even selling you the material, all at very reasonable cost. I got a 60” (diagonal) 16:9 tripod screen bundled with my projector. The material of the screen seems to be very good and gave me a good picture. But at the end of the day 60” was just too small for permanent use (I couldn’t get the picture from the projector that small mounted where I wanted it!) plus being a portable tripod screen it was also impractical to keep setting up. That is why I went for the more permanent solution.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Ewan154

Hi!
Thanks for the reply :) I have just bought an Beamax 16:9 Frame Projctr Screen
200 x 119cm really looking forward to getting it.

Top Bottom