1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Help Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MATT JENNER, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    HI
    ALL, I have a 7ft 16:9 owl motorised screen, it is a good quality screen, seems to be thicker than some i have seen, have no idea what it is made of,

the reason for this new thread is

I want to add motorised masking to cover both aspects, top bottom and sides, how does one even begin to go about this ?

I have heard that the stwert screens are the best for this , but they cost an absolute fortune, and the screen i have only 750.00

so any ideas would be appreciated, ROLAND, GORDON, any one else

Attached Files:

2. Andre Sveen

Andre Sveen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen some masking systems in the American www.avsforum.com

Use the search function there and you should find something.

I can not help you further than that I have not a masking system myself. Not much help here either.

3. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

I don't think you are going to be very successful with this on a motorised screen.

The adjustable blanking would have to roll up with the screen, yet be tight against it and I can't see a way around it for all sides.

The only way I have seen it is to have fixed width image for all aspect ratios, and just have top and bottom blanking.

On a motorised screen this would mean that the screen bottom would not motor down as far for 16x9 as for 4x3 and then a second motorised roll immeadiatly in front of the screen with black fabric would come down to the top of the image.

Obviously you would need stops for each screen ratio you wanted or you are going to need to manually start and stop the motors (one company I've seen tried to time the run on the motors to get everything right - it didn't work!!!)

You want to get the masking as close to the screen as possible otherwise you tend to look up into the gap from a normal seating position and it will leave a shadow. a way to get around this would be to have the screen rolled so that the projection surface is on the outside when rolled up, and unrolls so that the roll is on the side away from the audience. The blanking roll would be the other way round (the roll would be nearer the audience than the screen) then the two surfaces could drop close together. The attached sketch may help to explain what I'm trying to get at!

Anyway I hope this helps a little.

Attached Files:

4. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    okay thanks for this info,

it sounds as if i really need to save up for an ew screen that come with motorised masking, rather than try to add it to my existing screen

any ideas of companies in the uk apart from stewert screens that do this ?

Thanks

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Owl were planning to offer a range of low(er) cost electric masking screens.

There were two types. The first has top masking combined with an adjustable stop position for the bottom. The result is a fixed width, variable picture height screen. A good choice for 4:3 panel projectors and CRTs without multiple aspect ratios.

The second was fixed height, variable width. This would alternate from 16:9 (largest image size) to 4:3 (smallest). This is acheived by dropping two strips of material at the L & R edges of the screen to mask from 16:9 down to 4:3. This solution would work best for 16:9 panel projectors and CRTs with multiple AR ability.

Ring Owl (01825 766123) or post in the Owl Forum for further info.

Regards

6. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thankyou

what is the Owl web site address ?

i have look www.owl.co.uk and it takes me to the panasonic web site

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The link is www.owl-video.co.uk, but the site is being redeveloped so you won't find any info there yet. Suggest you ring them during normal office hours - 01825 766123.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.