Screen, grey or white?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 1ellis2345, Aug 8, 2012.

1. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just bought a Epson EH-TW6000 and I'm looking to buy a new screen.

I'm currently using and old screen I had given to me that was no longer working, so I cut the screen part off, attached it to some 3by2 and hung it from the ceiling via 2 short chains. This has been a great short term fix for now:D

I think it's now time to buy an electric screen and can't decide whether to get a grey screen or matt white. I watch movies mainly at night (completely dark), but I am looking at geting a black out blind and trying to make the room as dark as possible to watch films through the day.

I've read posts about how grey screens improve blacks and contrast, but do they make a difference in a completely dark room and if they do, would I need one with the projector I've got? If not should I get a matt white screen and try to make the room as dark as possible through the day?

My budget is very low (champagne taste and lemonade money:laugh:) and I'm looking at the CHEAP screens on ebay from Platinum247. I've read mixed comments on here about these screens (none of them great lol) but this is about all I can afford :( May be some of you clever people know of a better alternative for around the same price :thumbsup:

Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    If your walls are light coloured even if viewing at night a grey screen will be best.It will help with teh blacks as the Epson is not great with those anyway so the grey screen will improve things.

Platinum screens are ok at their price level but as you say there have been a few that have had issues.

3. Faffer

Faffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    +1 for Platinum screens .. he is very good and any problems he will get them sorted.

and +1 for grey screen.

Richard

4. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply.

My walls are grey:cool: (a nice grey) but the cieling is white and does reflect a lot of the picture light back onto the screen!

Is there a 2D projector that is better than the Epson (blacks) for the same price? I understand that 3D projectors have to be brighter as a result of being able to do 3D.

I have searched around, but everyone is jumping up and down about 3D at the moment and trying to find a review of a decent 2D PJ is almost impossible lol. I'm not too bothered about 3D as I can't see it properly Thanks.

5. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ordered a grey screen from Platinum and arrived today :D

Going to put it up later and see how it goes.

6. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    how much did you pay for it?,

upped his prices to over a grand ( assume no stock, so will hopefully come down)

7. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

I paid £117 including delivery. Unfortunately tho, I had to send it back:( The case was damage, the motor was making a knocking noise and the picture on it was awefull!

He was very understanding tho, offered me £25 back for the damage to the case. So I thought fair enough and put it up, but motor sounded like it was on its last legs and it is hard to descibe the kind picture it gave. The best way would be to say it made my PJ look like something I had 15 years ago:eek:

Gutted really, was hoping a cheap screen would do the job, but it looks like I've got to save and get something a bit more expensive!:(

8. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    just got a quote for a really good grey screen, it would be cheaper to buy a new projector for my needs.....(over £1700!!!!) yikes.. the search continues...

9. 1ellis2345

1ellis2345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What is a realistic price for a grey (or white) screen that gives a good image that isn't going to brake the bank?

I really don't want to be paying as much for a screen as I did for the PJ!:mad:

There has got to be some out there, may be I'm just not looking hard enough :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  10. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    same boat as me, i just cant justify paying more for a screen than my PJ, would be 2.8k for both, i would rather buy a 65" TV.

there are reasonable white screens circa £4/500, but thats my limit... but no grey screens below 1k that i can find.

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    It's a pity you guys can't live with a fixed screen as for less than £50 you can make your own from a sheet of mdf and just paint it grey.

12. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,385
    How much is a decent 65" TV going to be then? £3.2-4k

and an Epson 6000 with a proper 104" screen = £2.8k

I know it isn`t gonna help you quoting this but you can`t expect the pj to be at its best unless you give it a little help which is done 2 ways, screen or room change

Allan

13. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Will probably end up getting the grey screen in the future when i save enough pennies or if i get the CC bill paid off!!!

so will have to make do with what i have in the mean time, maybe an ND filter to help till i can afford it, as i would hope the screen would last longer than a few projector upgrades.

14. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    If I read the above correctly, a gray screen would help in a bright coloured room.

In my case, the room will be living room, so painting it a dark colour isn't ideal. Its currently magolia painted and probably stay that way.

Does the comment about gray screen also apply to cheaper screens.

With moving home, i really can't afford a £600+ screen.

So looking at a semi temporary solution like

New 100" Electric HD Projection Screen projector home cinema 16:9 Matt Grey | eBay

15. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,385
    stevos

choosing a screen such as the one you have linked to is a gamble imho

can you afford to gamble away your savings?

their are quite a few members on the forum who have taken the gamble and regretted it, also i`m sure someone out their will think its the beesnees.

a grey screen with 0.8 gain will ultimately look like its given you darker black levels but whats it doing to everything else.

try asking in the Platinum thread what owners think of them, ask what pj`s they are using and then try to make an informed decision. but ultimately a cheap screen temporary solution isn`t always the best option financially.

Allan

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  16. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I can afford to gamble £100 to have a screen, rather than wait for a year without a screen.

17. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,385
    then go for it then, as I said you might well think its the dogs doodahs :smashin:

18. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    The question is whether its a bigger gamble going for a gray screen than a white one.

I have had a white screen upto now and it works fine. However as i am buying a new one, it got me wondering if gray would be better.

The issue with a light coloured room is that its never truely black, since you have both the projector image bouncing and the various LED's for AV kit, routers etc lighting up the room.

Would love to be able to go for a proper AV screen, but just can't afford it right now. I can't believe how stupidly expensive house moving is, no wonder the house market is in a mess.

19. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    I'm seriously tempted to go for a grey screen but I'm not in a position to buy something along the lines of the ReActII.

I've currently got a Grandview Cyber screen which retail at £600, I didn't pay this much for mine, but I'm concerned that if I go for a grey screen from Platinum the quality isn't going to be a patch on the Grandview.

My room couldn't be any whiter and completely wrong with regards to a projector set-up! My set up is open plan kitchen/diner cum living room, all walls, ceiling, tiles and worktop are white and floor is white laminate!

I've always been happy with my set-up but if a grey screen would give me a much better picture then I want to go down that route, but can a £85 screen off ebay be comparable to a £600 screen?

I'd happily pay up to £400-500 for something but I can't stretch to the ReActII screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Leo

20. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Also got a Grandview currently, which i brought off ebay.

I want a bigger screen for moving into my new house (i think current is 60" or so), now want 100".

I can't find any UK sellers for Grandview screens to get an idea of price.

If i could buy a grandview for a reasonable price, i wouldn't think twice about it, absolutely no issues with my current one other than size.

21. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
  22. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
  23. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Drat, clicked electric link, seems to have taken me to wrong page.

Ok £699 is too much, back to drawing board.

24. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I took down my old screen yesterday for packing up before the move and geez it is heavier than it looks.

That is only a manual screen around 60".

Now dreading how heavy a 100" electric one will be. Its going to need some solid screws to stop it falling on top of my plasma and making one expensive mess.