1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen grab photo competition - please lmk what you think!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sigismund, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi all. Now I'm a fully fledged member of the pj fraternity I thought it would be a bit of fun to organize a pj screen grab photo competition. I know that screen grabs don't in any way truly reflect on the actual image one sees when watching a movie, but I always enjoy comparing images anyway :)

I'd stump up a little prize - a DVD probably... but I really would like some input from fellow pj-ers :cool:

Obviously, it would all merely be a bit of fun, and not in any way a serious attempt at finding the "best pj image", just the best unadulterated photo :)

Please lmk what you think...

Thanks,

Mark

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    can a cheat and take a really high res piccy at a very close distance of my 32" CRT tv and enter. looks good :thumbsup: hehe in fairness its a good idea as it gives the likes of me things to look at when im bored during the daytime, but also sickens me that i cant afford a PJ till january :(

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Anybody could cheat... but LCD and DLP pj-ers aren't that way inclined - we leave that to the CRT boys :eek:

January, eh... it's not that far off! So which pj are you thinking of going for? It's amazing what happens - I've had a couple of problems with a Z2 and my first Z3, and every now and then I start to see things that bug me with my replacement Z3... so far these "problems" with my latest unit have been of my own making - setting up any pj is a time-consuming and "interesting" task ;)

Re the possible photo comp... it really is designed to be a bit of fun - I always get a kick out of seeing a few screen shots from different equipment.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    aye the comp will be fun. im "hoping" to get a Z3. looking at Ae700 and the new sony the Z3 looks better for me. will need the Lens Shift so thats the panny out and the sony is out of my price range as i will of course need a new Dvi/HDMI equiped player to match it :)

cmon mr thread starter you give us some piccy's to drool at to get the ball rolling :)

5. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :D I've just this minute turned the pj off, but I'll take a few shots tomorrow night ;)

Re you getting a Z3 - I think I'm right in saying that using the lens shift does cause a slight degradation in image quality... so if this competition does get under way, and you've got your pj by then, remember to use the sweet spot ;)

Also, everything I read about DVi and HDMI suggests that image quality has the potential for improvement over analogue connections, but doesn't always work out that way... I'm still waiting for my DVi to HDMI lead :rolleyes:

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    looking forward to the pics. also getting new player so i can keep exsisting one on tv for when i want to quickly watch some thing like friends etc one night or a movie when it late. any excuse to upgrade :) still not got your lead hehe youve been waiting a while now. regarding the lens shift i dont need one that will move the image massive ammounts but my friends dad has recently aqiuried a AE700 and i wasnt impressed by the lens shift and i need a little more moveability. unless i changed my room around but thats a different story :D

was also thinking about using pc in sig as HTPC but not entirely sure. rather use it to game on and it has a nice home. i never actually seen a Good HTPC running against a decent DVD player so i wouldnt know the different in quality. my mobo has onboard S/PDIF so that isnt a problem

7. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ill get involved, delivery dependent, with a Hs50 :)

My qualm is this, if i take a photo ill want it to be a true likeness of the image i see. A camera does not see an image in teh same way a human eye does. My inclination would be to make a high dynamic range photo, and adapt it photoshop to accurately re-produce what my eyes see.

You have all seen that if you take a photo of an ae100 or so, the blacks look black, they are not. I know that this is going to be very difficult for people to shoot, and i'd hazard a guess that only 5, or 6 people on teh board could take such a shot, but i think they would be of far more use that a 'normal' screenshot.

whaddayarekon?

perhaps ill just post both, and stop winging :)

8. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have the Panny 700, and have it mounted close to the ceiling on the back wall, and the lens shift is superb. Dont believe all you read in reviews, try and see it for yourself.

Before I bought my 700, I was sold on the Z3, BUT the lens throw meant the PJ would have to be upside down in the middle of my ceiling. The 700 could go all the way onto the back wall on a shelf.

The Z3 has got more lens shift than the 700, so I guess you plan to use quite a lot for your installation ?

9. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i have seen it as i said above. only recently seen a Z2 as well and was very impessed by it. so chances are i will love the Z3. having seen the AE700 i was truely impressed and i cant go wrong with either. depending on budget i may have to get a 2nd hand one of these or a Z3. people will probably hate me for saying this but the one i seen had VB and i didnt notice it at all till it was pointed out. even then after than i forgot it was there and was playing games and watch Star wars Trilogy :thumbsup: will be my 1st PJ and knowing me VB will grow on me and i'll get annoyed hehe but i'll wait untill that day

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    So where's the pics??????

CH