Screen Goo in UK

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by BrianCurran, Mar 22, 2003.

1. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Brian

Perhaps you could put the web address in the Diy gear sticky, then it will always be available for people to see

Tom

3. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just white paint thats tinted 16% grey. It's common practice, the "Silver Screen" anyone?

4. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howesey

Have you used the method you suggest?

Regards

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Are you sure?, have you seen it?

6. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying go ahead and doing it as I don't know for sure, but I have seen screens that just look around 16% grey (was when I put my board infront of one, was from quite a distance away from the board and screen). 16% for some reason seems a magical number, when sorting out white balance or exposure on a camera you use a board that is 16% grey.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    For what its worth the Grayhawk doesn't really look grey at all, its more pearlesant than anything.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Also this is his CRT paint not fixed pixel paint. When Ken started developing this with his paint manufacturing pal he was going to do device dependant paints I seem to remember. i doubt it's just 16% grey on a white base. and to suggest that having never even seen it seems a bit......premature....I'd guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Someone want to buy some.....Hey, Melanie's in Toronto just now perhaps I shoudl get her to bring a tin back!....or perhaps not....

Gordon

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    The Guy spent over a year getting this stuff right, and some of the the folk that laughed at him for doing it are now using it !!!

I would give him a bit more credit than that.

10. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,758
    18% grey is the Kodak equivalent for all light reflected from an average picture IIRC.

It's not used for screens, but as a neutral reflective medium - any light reflecting off of the grey and onto a projection screen will be neutral and not affect the colour balance of the image on the screen.

My cinema room is painted 18% grey on the upper walls and ceiling. I wouldn't paint a screen that colour. :)

Kens Goo has an undercoat and a specialy formulated top coat which also has gain. It's not just Dulux Icestorm 6 (a common favourite on this forum for grey screens). ;)

Gary.

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually one of my friends in Florida tried Kens stuff and thinks it's great. Ken's a clever guy. I'm sure there is a little more to it than he lets on.

13. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uncle eric

Did your friend use the CRT stuff?

Regards

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brian, yes he did. He runs a Sony 1292.

15. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you look at the pictures of the paint mixer there's white, red, orange, lots of blue, tiny bits of black, and the diagonal streaks I'm assuming are splashes of the resultant colour, a greyish colour.

16. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just from the description I would guess that this is not just your average 16-18% grey emulsion, but more likely akin to metallic paint as used on cars. Probably why it's not so hot with fixed pixel projectors - much like perforated screens, any kind of structure will show up if looking at individual blocks of light shone at the screen.

17. KBK

KBK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got some news for you............ the mixers are part of a PAINT FACTORY. There just might be some other colors that the mixers are used for!

And the product was under development for FOUR YEARS. At the worst, I had 19 screens in my house at one time.

We now offer Rear Projection coatings. And we know coatings.. like no-one else.

We don't have distribution in the UK or Europe yet.. so the shipping is still DISCOUNTED!!!! Just use the on-line store, or call direct, at GMT-5 hours, during business hours.

The mixutre is so complex.. that even other coatings manufacturers can't help but be amazed by what it is.

It color corrects WITHOUT light loss.. which is UNIQUE in the coatings industry. The list of innovations is, well.... interesting... and will -never- really be written down anywhere...

A rollable coating of this nature was previously considered to be impossible. Well... we did it.

Goo Systems is at the very top of the coatings industry. And screen manufacturers either have to hire in the optical, coatings design engineers, and color experts.. or contract the work out.

We are at the top of that industry already. So we designed a coating that can be rolled or sprayed. And it is totally unique in design, execution and quality copmpared to any coating you have ever handled or used. Even another coatings manufacturer said so! The stories I could tell you... We have been approached by Video Screen projection companies to design their coatings. (no names!) The list goes on and on....

18. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KBK

Welcome to the AV Forums. :hiya:

Regards

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    just to stick my oar in.

18% grey is an exposure aim. Pretty much all photographic light meters are referencing 18% grey when you take a reading. IE for those lighting conditions an 18% grey patch is recorded on film as mid gray (its 18% because of the log nature of film). After a while you don't even need the meter as you know where grey will end up under those conditions.

18% grey doesn't bear any relationship to projection qualities. I'd suspect its a little on the dark side to be honest for a screen and as has been pointed out screens have other properties beyond basic colour and intensity.

20. KBK

KBK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We now have a rear projection coating available!