1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Goo High Gain Paint

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CRTnewbie, Jan 12, 2005.

1. CRTnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm in the process of deciding on a screen for a Sony CRT projector I have just bought.

I have looked at the options and because I want a 9-10ft screen its going to be expensive. I have set my budget at £500 and was looking at roller screens but for that sort of money im not going to get a great screen so I have been looking at the DIY option to bridge the gap until I can either decide on or afford a top notch screen.

I'm thinking of making a fixed screen from thin MDF with a black frame and painting the image area a reflective white. If I can make it light enough then it can be hung when needed and stored when not. People have mentioned using ice white paint and various matt finishes but I have found a company which makes a product called goo specially for projection screens and you can just roll it on.

It sounds as if it will give you a high gain finish on a flat surface as good as or not better than the best screens on the market up to (1.8 gain). Now the paint system is not cheap with prices for base coat and top coat at around £100 but when you add say £50 for MDF and frame its still cheaper than anything you can buy off the shelf and custom to your own requirements.

So I may go down this road but just wondered if anyone else had got good results from this product. Web address for it is http://www.goosystems.com/cgi-bin/ic/goosystems/index

I'll post up my findings in the next few months.
  2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Oct 18, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

They sell goo and have a gallery of goo users.

With regard to a reflective white paint most people use matt as anything too reflective will result in you seeing the bulb rather than the image if that makes sense.