Screen for white but dark room (TW9400)

Good to see that the thread is still alive, hehe.

Just a side question on the screens, borderless or not? What are the pros/cons on going borderless and have black bars? I believe that I read somewhere that the black bars helps on the contrast?

// Chris

On a treated screen wall covered in black velvet there’s no need for the border because the wall is effectively your border but if you don’t have this treatment then I personally would go with the border because it improves perceived contrast.

On a treated screen wall covered in black velvet there’s no need for the border because the wall is effectively your border but if you don’t have this treatment then I personally would go with the border because it improves perceived contrast.
I’ve got quite a few different samples of material but small bits are difficult to judge. amongst them are Ricky's diverse grey and ALR.
I would really like to try ALR in my room but the wife sits off at a fair angle. When I hold up a sample of ALR against my white screen when playing 3D I’m sure the image looks brighter through the glasses ?. I don’t think I can go with the 0.8 grey as I’m using everything I have from my N5 in low lamp for 3D as it is.

I just feel that screens are the most awkward and annoying part of projection.

I’ve got quite a few different samples of material but small bits are difficult to judge. amongst them are Ricky's diverse grey and ALR.
I would really like to try ALR in my room but the wife sits off at a fair angle. When I hold up a sample of ALR against my white screen when playing 3D I’m sure the image looks brighter through the glasses ?. I don’t think I can go with the 0.8 grey as I’m using everything I have from my N5 in low lamp for 3D as it is.

I just feel that screens are the most awkward and annoying part of projection.
yup.

crap resale value too on them so a poor decision can be costly.

Thank you all for the inputs on what and where to go! I decided that I had to stretch the budget and not to cheap out so the choice ended up buying a Draper screen with ReAct 3.0, which I managed to negotiate down to a acceptable price, so now I'm just sitting here and tripping to get it.

And with all this corona-lock down and boredom I actually did paint the wall's with a matt green/blue paint, to enhance the viewing experience.

I'll post a picture of the setup when I finally receive the screen!

//Chris

Took this image off Netflix series The Witcher, my internet speed isn’t the best so image quality isn’t as good as it could be but boy the colour of those eyes. :love:

View attachment 1432283
God I haven’t even got a replacement projector yet, but oh how I want this

Thank you all for the inputs on what and where to go! I decided that I had to stretch the budget and not to cheap out so the choice ended up buying a Draper screen with ReAct 3.0, which I managed to negotiate down to a acceptable price, so now I'm just sitting here and tripping to get it.

And with all this corona-lock down and boredom I actually did paint the wall's with a matt green/blue paint, to enhance the viewing experience.

//Chris

Good screen, it will last you years :smashin:

//Chris
Can I ask who is still selling draper ReAct screens in the UK?

I was looking for a motorized tension screen. There was so many positive comments on the Diverse Screens. I started to google for an alternate in EU after the Brexit.
I think it is Adeo Screens: Adeo Screen sp. z o.o.
The mechanism seems the same, so the material should be also (Adeo Screen sp. z o.o.). Made in Poland.
Maybe someone knows? Thank you!

I was looking for a motorized tension screen. There was so many positive comments on the Diverse Screens. I started to google for an alternate in EU after the Brexit.
I think it is Adeo Screens: Adeo Screen sp. z o.o.
The mechanism seems the same, so the material should be also (Adeo Screen sp. z o.o.). Made in Poland.
Maybe someone knows? Thank you!

It’s possible that they make them for Ricky though only he could answer that question for sure. I have the fixed frame version of Diverse Screens and it’s made to measure not a pre-selected size, also it’s frame is 80mm compared to 85mm here so maybe it’s made by them to his spec?

When I hold up a sample of ALR against my white screen when playing 3D I’m sure the image looks brighter through the glasses ?.
That is common if the ALR screen retains polarisation. You should also find if the screen looks brighter than a white screen for 3D, that if you turn your 3D glasses through 90 degrees the image will get much darker (maybe unusably so). For these screen types it is extremely important to have the correct polarisation 3D glasses.

It’s possible that they make them for Ricky though only he could answer that question for sure. I have the fixed frame version of Diverse Screens and it’s made to measure not a pre-selected size, also it’s frame is 80mm compared to 85mm here so maybe it’s made by them to his spec?

Yes, adeo make some of our Diverse Screens to our specification :) .

Hi guys. Long time reader, never posted something in this thread but I've enjoyed the discussions so far. I'm from Romania so no dealer here for a major screen brand but I can get a quotation for a Screen Innovation 120 Slate.

Not willing to open another thread, and being in a some sort of the same situation, I would kindly ask for some help , and especially @Rickyj at Kalibrate which I know you're very busy!

So.. we're in the middle of our house construction which is our dream house and everything is as we wanted except ,of course,a dedicated home cinema :) . Not having the time to watch too many movies, nor the money to go on this route, I've decided to go on this route of doing a stealth media living room with dolby atmos 7.2.4, a motorised screen and a motorised lift for projector.

The projector I have is a Tw9400 Epson.

What you can see in the rendered pictures I will attach, what I could do is, despite the white walls i could do some tricks with the the upper false ceiling which will be a dark gray, on the right size of the screen there will be no reflection because there's an open space and on the left hand, there will be a dark material draper and the chimney will be also darker.

So, I will kindly ask for your help with guessing(and I know it isn't the way to go but I'll asume my decision to go on this route) which materila/screen will go better with my living room environment, targeting a dimming day/ night time viewing movies.

Will a SI Slate 120ALR be a good option.
@Rickyj at Kalibrate please guide me on an Adeo screen here or PM because I can't order one of your screen but you know their stuff. I know I can't offer something in return but appreciation for your help, so I will kindly thank you in advance.
Or if we can order it from Poland and be payed in UK .. whatever it takes to resolve this.

thank you!
R23.jpgR24.jpgR25.jpgR18.jpg33.jpgScreenshot_20220509-231828_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220509-231758_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I'm from Slovakia and I'm looking for a suitable screen for my room. The possibilities of my country are limited as well as the budget, I am looking for a 120" 1500 Euro screen, the only thing that can be bought from us is the DayWalker Elitescreen, will this screen be suitable for my needs? Those white walls are killing me :(
IMG_20220818_222543.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220818_222558.jpg
    IMG_20220818_222558.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 71
Hi, I'm from Slovakia and I'm looking for a suitable screen for my room. The possibilities of my country are limited as well as the budget, I am looking for a 120" 1500 Euro screen, the only thing that can be bought from us is the DayWalker Elitescreen, will this screen be suitable for my needs? Those white walls are killing me :(View attachment 1740327
I think you should look for PJ screen in Poland. Maybe Kauber Blue Label Tensioned ALR? This one: Kauber Blue Label Tensioned - 250x141cm | 5618 zł - 8427 zł | Sklep Ekranownia.pl
P.S. link not for promotional purposes!
The prices are acceptable, not like the similar production in Germany. You'll also have tons of customization options...

Hi guys. Long time reader, never posted something in this thread but I've enjoyed the discussions so far. I'm from Romania so no dealer here for a major screen brand but I can get a quotation for a Screen Innovation 120 Slate.

Not willing to open another thread, and being in a some sort of the same situation, I would kindly ask for some help , and especially @Rickyj at Kalibrate which I know you're very busy!

So.. we're in the middle of our house construction which is our dream house and everything is as we wanted except ,of course,a dedicated home cinema :) . Not having the time to watch too many movies, nor the money to go on this route, I've decided to go on this route of doing a stealth media living room with dolby atmos 7.2.4, a motorised screen and a motorised lift for projector.

The projector I have is a Tw9400 Epson.

What you can see in the rendered pictures I will attach, what I could do is, despite the white walls i could do some tricks with the the upper false ceiling which will be a dark gray, on the right size of the screen there will be no reflection because there's an open space and on the left hand, there will be a dark material draper and the chimney will be also darker.

So, I will kindly ask for your help with guessing(and I know it isn't the way to go but I'll asume my decision to go on this route) which materila/screen will go better with my living room environment, targeting a dimming day/ night time viewing movies.

Will a SI Slate 120ALR be a good option.
@Rickyj at Kalibrate please guide me on an Adeo screen here or PM because I can't order one of your screen but you know their stuff. I know I can't offer something in return but appreciation for your help, so I will kindly thank you in advance.
Or if we can order it from Poland and be payed in UK .. whatever it takes to resolve this.

thank you!
View attachment 1694580View attachment 1694581View attachment 1694582View attachment 1694583View attachment 1694584View attachment 1694585View attachment 1694586
Sorry for quoting myself . Meanwhile I've done some research and some mails( a lot in fact) so I'll buy an Adeo ALR screen wich most probably will have the same specification to Diverse Screen in your country. It is a very expensive screen, for me at least, around 2800 euros for inceiling, 120 inch.

My question to the owners of alr diverse screen, as I don't have anu way to see one, is : will you buy the one with black borders and upper side or completely free border one as i saw , some of you have. This one isn't square shaped, but it has a trapezoidal shape.

Thanks
borderless.jpgblacborder.png

I would definitely go for ALR screen from sunscreen.ch
I tested a lot of screen and haven’t found anything better yet. Additionally, they produce custom built screens and ship worldwide so I could get it in Europe, shipped to door, without any custom fees or taxes. LT0.8 is amazing!

I would definitely go for ALR screen from sunscreen.ch
I tested a lot of screen and haven’t found anything better yet. Additionally, they produce custom built screens and ship worldwide so I could get it in Europe, shipped to door, without any custom fees or taxes. LT0.8 is amazing!
Thanks for the reply. But, did you tested against 1.0 gain ALR screen from Adeo? Thanks again

The problem with all ALR screens is the very narrow viewing angle, if you intend to watch close to dead centre then all is good but if you intend to has a sofa off to the side then the experience from there will be dull at best.

As long as you are aware of this you won’t be disappointed because it’s hard to get a true reflection of its performance from a sample.

Hi, I know you've selled yours or wanted to. I will not have narrow angles as it is a pretty straight forward viewing position. The decision to buy one of Adeo's was because of the guys like you who were satisfied with them(although rebranded).
Also my question comes because you were plesed with your frameless screen. I hope i don't confuse you with someone else. otherwise I would have bought the one with black bars without even thinking to a borderless one.

LE: It's not yours the bordeless one :) It was Doug Pyper'sscreen.

Last edited:
I have 0 issues with viewing angles with Sunscreen. This is LT0.8 model and it has 180 viewing angles.
4CB77996-F9B9-436B-A4A5-6F3521AD323B.jpeg
6C615D82-E168-4AAD-AB96-E229BD46367E.jpeg

I have 0 issues with viewing angles with Sunscreen. This is LT0.8 model and it has 180 viewing angles.View attachment 1850693View attachment 1850690
What generally happens with ALR screens is the brightness of the image dulls beyond a certain angle and steadily gets duller. If your screen isn’t doing that then maybe it isn’t an ALR screen?

haha it is definitely an ALR screen and uncomparably better than anything I tested so far, and I tested many of them over past years
This is SI slate screen and fabric is Sunscreen LT0.8 (their UST0.8 performs even better
AB3BF97E-FC0B-4FD5-B690-D0C66812ED94.png

D79D6EA9-3003-480A-971B-BA2FD26489E7.jpeg

So, I ve ordered the ADEO ambient gray, inceiling 120inch tensioned screen. Hope is a good choice.
Thanks for everyone who answered my questions.

A few pictures with the ceiling double drywall, acoustic damping system, tecsound membrane between the two sheets of drywall and acoustic mineral wool. Hope this will help dolby atmos system.VideoCapture_20230423-155549.jpg20230414_100638.jpg20230412_160601.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom