Screen for white but dark room (TW9400)

I have also taken the final decision to go 16:9. Going widescreen could be possible, but then the screen is going to be up to high over the speakers to be a comfortably viewing height.

@kenshingintoki: don't you think the Epson will have enough contrast to do the job when the night and dark hits the room? I have already bought the Epson, but haven't got it in my hands yet.

@Luminated67: I have reached out to Ricky for some pricing and let us see if he can give me a great price on a screen! I know the quality differ from movie to movie, which I also have noticed on my TV. I also intend to get the projector calibrated when everything is going to be installed. Maybe a stupid question, but do the projector have do run xx-hours before doing calibration? And luckily I have the length in the room to put the projector in the correct spot further back then normal.

I must say the pictures on your screen looks absolute amazing - and even though it's a photo taken, it must be even more amazing in real life!

I did also first realize after browsing YouTube a late night that the projector have the "blackening" option. How does it actually work, it is not just forcing the image to be black does it? Isn't it shutting of the pixel some how? Does this function save in the lens memory, so if you are adjusting the picture in for say 2.35:1 and you do some blanking also, this is all going to be saved on the preset you can save for this view?

@DLxP: Thank you, nice to see a setup that I'm looking for and in the environments like what I have! This actually doing the decision much more easy when you can relate to the complete setup!

The end result and the right way to encounter this project have to be ALR 16:9. I now have reached out to Ricky for his screens and I have contacted Draper to hear what the difference is between the Thor and the Loke tab-tensioned screens they have, both with ReAct 3.0. Anyone in here have experience with the one or both the Drapers, which can clarify the difference? The Loke-version for a 122" is just around 2.000€.
Sadly I can't find any dealers in Denmark which have these screen to see them in real life with my own eyes, but with you guys experience and recommendation and DLxP setup, I'm 99% sure this solution is the best!

//Chris

@Luminated67: I have reached out to Ricky for some pricing and let us see if he can give me a great price on a screen! I know the quality differ from movie to movie, which I also have noticed on my TV. I also intend to get the projector calibrated when everything is going to be installed. Maybe a stupid question, but do the projector have do run xx-hours before doing calibration? And luckily I have the length in the room to put the projector in the correct spot further back then normal.

You want a bare minimum of 70 hours on the bulb before calibrator will look at it, also I would run it on a mix of lamp power. Be patient with Ricky he will get back to you but might be a few days.

I must say the pictures on your screen looks absolute amazing - and even though it's a photo taken, it must be even more amazing in real life!

Thanks for your kind comments, I try to capture as close as I can to what I see on the screen but you are right in real life it’s even better.

Sadly I can't find any dealers in Denmark which have these screen to see them in real life with my own eyes, but with you guys experience and recommendation and DLxP setup, I'm 99% sure this solution is the best!

//Chris

I just found this thread when asking similar question about new screens. I have also contacted this Ricky.
I live in Sweden and I know there is a really good store that have a lot of screens to demo in the southern parts of Sweden in Skåne. It is called The Rock.
Please report back on what Ricky says.

FWIW, I think the Diverse Screens Ricky/Kalibrate sells are manufactured for him in Poland and shipped directly from there. So I would imagine delivery times to Denmark or Sweden would actually be quicker than to the UK.

Be patient with Ricky he will get back to you but might be a few days.

This is excellent advice. He's often busy so responses aren't the quickest, but it's worth persevering as he's very helpful and the screens are superb.

FWIW, I think the Diverse Screens Ricky/Kalibrate sells are manufactured for him in Poland and shipped directly from there. So I would imagine delivery times to Denmark or Sweden would actually be quicker than to the UK.

This is excellent advice. He's often busy so responses aren't the quickest, but it's worth persevering as he's very helpful and the screens are superb.

Is it "safe" to buy a screen you have not seen for yourself? I will listen to your advice here but I am still a bit concerned not being able to see it first.
Maybe it is the same thing buying from a local store because the image will change when you watch at your own home cinema?

Is it "safe" to buy a screen you have not seen for yourself? I will listen to your advice here but I am still a bit concerned not being able to see it first.
Maybe it is the same thing buying from a local store because the image will change when you watch at your own home cinema?
I had the same concern, as I bought the screen without having seen it first. The screens aren't available for demo anywhere as far as I know - they are special order only. I made my decision to buy it based on feedback from owners and conversations with Ricky. It did feel a bit like a gamble when I bought it, but I'm extremely glad I did.

It's possible to order screen samples, so that can give you some idea of what the material's like. But they are quite small, about A4 paper size, so don't provide much of an idea of what the whole screen will be like.

I got a grey tab tensioned screen from Ricky also 113''. Works with harmony elite remote. Very good for the money and image in my white lounge ( I can get it painted, been lazy) is very good.

The other marques are frankly ludicrously priced.

I think @Rickyj at Kalibrate will do quite well going on all our interest off this thread. Im considering taking my 65a8 back to costco for a new screen

Frankly Ricky deserves the interest and potential sales because it’s a bloody great product has got on his hands.

I think @Rickyj at Kalibrate will do quite well going on all our interest off this thread. Im considering taking my 65a8 back to costco for a new screen
If you can accommodate a projector screen instead I doubt you'd be disappointed. 65" OLEDs are fantastic, but they just don't have the cinematic impact of large projector screens.

Just had a quick chat with ricky via instagram....this is gonna cost me

He’s a great bloke, if I can possibly steer fellow members in his direction and get them the best screen for the price then I feel I have done my duty.

Took this image off Netflix series The Witcher, my internet speed isn’t the best so image quality isn’t as good as it could be but boy the colour of those eyes. :love:

4A5FDD37-2E4B-4144-A50E-481223EE08DF.jpeg

Haha. Love this thread.
I am still waiting for a response from Ricky.
I need a fixed frame.

He has all options from frameless to 9cm framed, I chose the framed version because I like the border and I was limited to 112” anyway so no point going frameless as I had nothing to gain from going that route.

Bare in mind a bit of black frame improves perceived image contrast. I really wonder about the frameless dad, looks cool I guess but you don't have the pure black juxtaposition.

If you go for ALR, definitely consider sunscreen.hr. I am blown away by their materials

If you go for ALR, definitely consider sunscreen.hr. I am blown away by their materials

I did look it up, definitely not cheap at €2K for a 120” 16:9 and that’s fixed frame as I don’t see them doing an electric roll down.

Im currently using a react 2.1, its been replaced by react 3.0 now but I'm very pleased with it and only cost me £500 for a used borderless tab tensioned.
IMG_0478.jpeg

Hi there. I would spend your money on some black velvet drapes ( floor to ceiling) on the sides of that space and a large black hairy sheepskin rug for the floor.

I'd then paint the projection wall with screen goo (max contrast) and leave it at that.

Cheers

Thank you for all the positive feedback, and sorry for the delay. I will come back to all the messages and emails tomorrow/Tuesday. Had a few days off over Christmas and New Year to spend with family and get some admin done (re Brexit, VAT etc), and thus will be catching up from tomorrow. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom