Screen for JVC NX5

DJ41

Standard Member
I am planning in buying a JVC NX5. I will be watching in a living room with light grey walls, but a white ceiling. I can make this room dark(er) by closing shutters. I did some reading on what screen I should get. Some people say: buy a grey ALR screen so ambient light doesn't get reflected back at your screen and you won't impact the black level. Others insist that a white screen is still best because you need light for good HDR and an ALR screen is usually gain 0.8 or 0.9.

There are ALR screens with positive gain, but people are reporting sparkles and very narrow viewing angles.

I don't know what to get. I will be projecting on a 120" screen from a distance of 6.70m. Picking the projector was easy, but the screen is way harder.

Last edited:

JL12W7

I am planning in buying a JVC NX5. I will be watching in a living room with light grey walls, but a white ceiling. I can make this room dark(er) by closing shutters. I did some reading on what screen I should get. Some people say: buy a grey ALR screen so ambient light doesn't get reflected back at your screen and you won't impact the black level. Others insist that a white screen is still best because you need light for good HDR and an ALR screen is usually gain 0.8 or 0.9.

There are ALR screens with positive gain, but people are reporting sparkles and very narrow viewing angles.

I don't know what to get. I will be projecting on a 120" screen from a distance of 6.70m. Picking the projector was easy, but the screen is way harder.
I purchased an ALR screen from A China manufacturer, 133 inch diagonal 16.9 aspect ratio including a led strip that is like a halo all different colours or a single colour which looks fantastic all for £550. If I purchased that screen in the UK you would be talking thousands of pounds and the same Chinese manufacturer makes screens for everyone else under their brand name. The ALR screen is a bit sparkly like you say but God does it ever throw a crisper image. I know what you mean when you state what you have stated. Suppose you either buy ALR knowing it can be sparkly and very bright like anything else you do get used to it then you don't even notice it as I used to have an 80 inch diagonal VUTEC motorised 16.9 white screen. With ALR it does sparkle like you say the image shimmers and depending on film content can get blisteringly bright so much so in a scene from the latest Terminator film I actually closed my eyes as the screen was that bright it was blindingly bright, with an ordinary white screen that would never happen. With ALE you get a much richer crisper defined image than a standard non ALR screen, I would say it is worth it, but then that is my own personal experience and opinion. I forgot to mention my screen is fixed like a giant flat screen TV very nice it is too.

alebonau

have you got a white screen/even blank wall to try things first ? i would ... ALR has its pros but also cons...

120" is a reasonable sized screen and from 6.7m is a fair throw and you are going to loose some light in just doing that ! and negative gain with 0.8 and such i do wonder how much gong to loose that way... the HT optimiser does mean you can run and especially if calibrated properly as low as 22FL for HDR... but you do still want something up sleeve as lamp ages..

you are welcome to check the the screenshot candy thread - will see screen shots of my jvc n7 in pretty homely settings. though each room has its own quirks and compromises. mine isnt white walls its off white, also mostly covered with non reflecting soft furnishings, most of room is also non reflective soft furninshings, charcoal carpet, only white is the ceiling ...but my screen is greatly smaller than yours so throwing less light and also its lowered well down for immersion so quite a bit away from ceiling and quite a bit away from any walls as such. closer to floor than ceiling and when we replaced the light coloured carpet with charcoal (wife's choice - hooray) the difference was instantly noticeable... so it does make difference ...so definitely ... do all can with the room...

though am not sure id compromise as much with an ALR screen vs your white ceiling. I know many folk with JVC and not one uses an ALR screen due to comprise there is. I couldn't use one in my setup for same reasons...

ambient light is worth talking about ....its amazing how much ambient light projectors can actually tolerate ...especially if looking at non critical viewing.. will post some examples and also give some context so can take that into consideration...

below is a shot i took, just prior to eurovision coming on....
B384DF7A-AC1D-491D-9E07-C33807B87EB7.jpeg

its usually a bit of a gathering family friends... just used the phone here with a quick shot...just made sure exposed for the picture not the room... havent taken much care otherwise but might give some clues... this was just prior to us kicking off ... so room that opens up to kitchen dining ... I had doors open so even impacted by lighting next door. but in room will see only light is behind line of screen so no ambient light directly on screen. with doors closed as we would view. its actually respectable especially considering the FTA - highly compressed data stream and effects on PQ...

another photo below is during day... FTA TV source non critical viewing ...jut the cricket and doors behind main viewing left open with kitchen dining and light filled staircase behind ... and again quite respectable viewing, totally fine with folks over ... again non critical viewing... woudl never view this way a full on movie etc which would be doors closed all ambient light eliminated

B2B4E184-5DEB-4CE3-B780-D8F6D529A33C_1_201_a.jpeg

5D3FDD9D-AFD5-4667-AD54-45B69A32BF6F_1_201_a.jpeg

above pics taken with full frame mirrorless camera with sigma art 501.4 lens to best mimic human field of view and taken from main viewing position, exposure set to best represent what am seeing..but keep in mind the camera can best only approximate.. these look even better in person !

the JVCs definitely have more up sleeve than most with contrast but even old 10 year old epson (using same 1080p darkscip as current 9400) isnt as much impacted by ambient light as most think... here in similar setting again lighting behind line of screen.... again not at all how we would view for critical viewing .. but to give some appreciation... how ambient light impacts..

A60BCAA8-3AAD-4246-9191-62AF0E07003E.jpeg

Id encourage to try the n5 on a blank wall if have one or even rig up a bedsheet temprorarily to see impact ...getting a coventional screen will only improve all around the experience ... will get an idea what current compromise is and whether want to get an ALR screen with its own gains but also compromises that come with those ...

Last edited:

alebonau

@DJ41 another approach might be to go see screens in acton ... either at someones home if know someone with one of the screens considering and hopefully same projector... or go see at retailers who might be selling screens and projector you have...

only important thing with this is make sure projector is calibrated for screens (and room) as often what some sales folk will do is demo a projector without it being calibrated for screens in question and that is not really a good way to compare...especially ALR screens which are such a departure from the conventional :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom