Screen for HS10

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've gone and bought myself a HS10 and was wondering about what type of screen other HS10 users have.

I'd like to get the best quality I can but as my A/V room nears completion (I'll post some pic's soon) my budget is disappearing.

Which is the best option to go for.... pro screen material or black out cloth or an Icestorm painted panel...

Thanx in advance....

Well I started of using the free 70" floor standing screen that came with my HS10 which was not too bad but started to show signs of ripples within days.

I then looked at all the options and decided that I would try making a DIY screen using a piece of MDF that I had laying in my shed.

Now it's not the largest of screens...about 5ft wide...but I am very pleased with the results.

I basically cut the MDF to size and attached it directly to the wall. I then applied 2 coats of MDF primer followed by 2 coats of Dulux Icestorm 6. I finished it off with a dark wooden frame, mitred at the corners.

So if you've got the space to accomodate a fixed screen I'd say give it a go. It should cost less than a tenner for the MDF and the same again for the paint and the frame. So for around £30 it's worth a go.

On the plus side it will be perfectly flat with no ripples :smashin:

Cheers, Lee

BTW that's a nice looking fish tank you've got yourself there...something I've allways fancied.

hmmm. Sounds like a good idea.

The wife isn't to happy with extras I've been adding to the room.

Could be a vote winner.....

and Thanks... Those pictures are quite old and I can't belive how empty the tank looks there. Keep meaning to post some more pictures but you know how it is.....

Hi

I too started with the freebie screen but didn't like the overpowering smell of plastic - really put me off - plus I knew I would be moving house where I could have a dedicated screen.

I posted some of my musings here ...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83346

... and have ended up building a home made screen from blackout material (untreated) and am very happy with it. I built the screen basically following a variation of the instructions that can be found here ...
http://members.shaw.ca/danhanson/Theater/screen/screenproject.htm

... and the only differences were really that I used a wooden varnished frame instead of covering it with black cloth (wooden finish goes with the doors,skirting, etc in the room), used glue in addition to the metal joints, and used velcro to secure the screen to the back of the frame rather than staples.

The latter, I think, is a tremendous improvement since (a) if the screen material gets damaged or I want to paint it or replace it I can do so easily (b) if you get the "fit" of the material to the frame wrong you can easily tweak it as you go. This is what happened to me since I didn't feel confident about stretching the material and stapling it without finding ripples or whatever and so I was able to stretch a bit at a time and adjust until I was happy with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom