1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen for Domino 20?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by adomingos, Jun 7, 2005.

1. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    So now I'm finally a lucky owner of a Sim2 :clap:

Need your expertise help on choosing a projection screen, namely regarding the gain (thinking in 1 to 1.2). The PJ is a Domino 20 and I'm aiming at an image of 16:9 - 203x114 (wxh metric) an the use will be mostly for DVD view in a darkened room.

Any thoughts...

cheers,
    Antonio

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I've been using a DaLite screen with my Domino 20 with a gain of 1.3 (I think!) and the picture is fantastic. The screen material is called Cinema Vision and you can find details on the DaLite website.

My screen is 106 inch diagonal and like you I mainly watch dvd in a darkened room. Hope this is of some help!

3. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Timmy. :smashin:

It happens I have Da-Lite samples with me that borrow from a friend of mine, but so far what I liked the most was the Matte White with 1.0 gain.

That one you told me I don't know its natural charecteristic of the material but appears to be somehow damaged by humidity or something like it :confused:

Ant

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sim2 actually recommend the use of Da-Lite 1.3 gain screens for their projectors! A very precise material that is Da-Lite's equivalent of the industry reference Studiotek 130 from Stewart (which is also 1.3 gain, but also about twice the price!).

5. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip :smashin:

Having made second tests with the samples, I now seem to find I like one they have which have 1.5 gain (claimed). The 1.3, like I told before seem to be somehow damaged... I think I have to request also bigger samples, the ones I have are quite small.

cheers,
    Ant

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Projector Central did a recent test of screen material and the reflectance of each:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_brightness.htm

Apparently there are different ways to measure screen gain, so the results may not be definitive, but as the ST130 was the only accurate 1.3 gain material on the test, it does suggest the results are reasonably accurate IMHO.

It may be worth looking at the Draper material if you can get some. I know where the material can be bought at a good price but it's designed for a fixed screen I believe (wooden frame and staples are a cheap alternative).

Gary.

7. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,
    I don't know where I can get Drapper samples, but I really would like to know that place you've mentioned cause 1.3 material is really hard to find selling around... And a fixed screen is exactly what I had in mind, in fact already made my first :rolleyes:, really nice but now I start to notice is flaws...

thanks,
    Ant

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    www.crtprojectors.co.uk sell it off the roll, but because it creases and some previous customers complained, they will only sell it if you can collect it or send them a cardboard tube or two to put it on. In my case, they rolled it onto one tube, and then wrapped it in bubble wrap before putting it into the other tube and sending it too me.

Serive was excellent even though James is very busy and not always around - it needs two of them to get it off the huge roll and cut it. Here's the direct link:

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/screens.htm

Great price IMHO. I've not been able to try it out yet, but will do a mini report when it's up and running.

Gary.

9. adomingos

adomingos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary, I've seen it before on another post of yours under "Projection Screens", I think. Nevertheless, collection is out of the question for the moment, cause I live in Sunny (righ now, damn hot!) Portugal.

Right now I will be doing some ink tests but I'm still interested in the fabric. So let me know the results of that report. Thanks for the tip and contacts.:smashin: