Screen for a CRT Barco Data 708

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yejaffe, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yejaffe

yejaffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help me to choose a screen for a Barco Data 708?
    i dont know if i should get a 1.5 gain on 203 mm width screen or 1.1 gain on a 240 mm width screen.
    i would like to be able to watch movies with more light in the room the qustion is if 1.5 gain will let me do it, or is it lost money

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By its higher gain nature, the actual viewing volume will decrease so if you view it from the side it will be dimmer than using the 1.1 gain screen. However if you want to see the picture with a high ambient light level, you really don't have a choice do ya?

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If your eally do have to have the lights on then go for quite a high gain screen.
    It is genrally accepted that 1.3 is about ideal for a ceiling mounted CRT in blackout conditions.
    Going higher will increase the light reflectance but will tend to create hot spots. With the lights up these will probably not be so noticeable.
    I would go for the 1.5

Just as an aside screen gain is very difficult to measure and whilst differnt manufactures quote varrious figures they are very often different to actual.

4. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree apart from that screen gain is very simple to measure. Its knowing what it actually does to the light and which application a value is best suited to that's the tricky bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.