1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen for 35mm slide & LCD or DLP projector? - plus pull up screens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cerebros, Jun 3, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm considering getting a slide projector for the lounge and contemplating getting a video projector, either an LCD or DLP model, as well.

I've done a quick search of this site, but i can't seem to see if this topic has been discussed before.

Basically I want to know if a screen used for video projection will be suitable for slide projection. From some of the past threads in this section of the fourms, i see that different "gains" of screen may be requried for video depending on which type of projector you go for.

Also, are there any pull-up projector screens? All the non-portable ones I've seen on the web are drop down. As I'm in rented accomodation I can't mount the screen on the ceiling (the projectors wil be on shelves at the back of the room) so I'm left either with a portable screen, or trying to find one that pulls up.

Can anyone help?

thanks

2. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ebay usually has fairly cheap pull-up floorstanding projector screens (search for "floorstanding projector screen" and there's one there at the moment, or just "projector screen" for all screens). I bought a floorstander myself (rented accommodation too) and although it is only relatively cheap, I'm quite happy with it.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for that.... will certainly sort me for 35mm slide... Ideally looking for a 16:9 screen primarily thought for the video PJ

4. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    well first of all, yes if your get a screen for your say, lcd PJ then u can use it for a slide projector, but why are you getting a slide projector ?
    I assume you have a PC so why not use that in a slideshow mode to veiw still pics ?
    mabey you have lots of old slides ? presubalbly there is some way to transfer them to a pc,, much like the scanners you can but for negatives , donno, as for the whole 16:9 topic, there is a discussion goin on in here just now about that...i am not convinced :thumbsdow

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well for the following reasons

1 - Resolution.

Resolution of the slide projectors within my price bracket is 1280x720. Resolution of a 35mm slide (scanned at 4000 dpi on my slide scanner) is ~ 5600 x 3750.

2 - Time

It can take an age to scan in and correct the scan of a slide - certainly more time than I'm willing to spend for an entire slideshow. I typically only scan in slides I'm wanting to make big prints of and will therefore go that little bit further with regards to cleaning up the image from the scan (dust has a nasty habit of getting on slides and inside the scanner).

I don't have lots of old slides, I shoot slide film as a matter of preference at the moment.