SCREEN FLICKERS @ 1080P ON PS3 - cheap HDMI cable perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ight8ball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i own a Toshiba 37 XV lcd tv, i have recently been having problems with screen flicker on the PS3 menu and i have recently downloaded Wipeout HD which also flickers and suffers from lack of sound while i play it.Iv only had the tv set 3 weeks and i am worried it could be a problem within.However, i did buy a very cheap HDMI cable from a company on Ebay, i think it cost me £4 tops! Should i go to Game and get a more expensive HDMI cable before i ring Toshiba up and report a faulty set?Please help, im not up on things like this but obviously want to use the set to its full 1080p potential. i dont understand why Soul Calibur works at 1080p and Wipeout doesnt... im very confused,What do you people think?

Can you perhaps borrow an HDMI cable from someone else to try it out before buying a new cable? From the other threads on here regarding HDMI the cheap ones you pick up online give the same results as the more expensive ones.

Some games are only 720p encoded, which is why you will only be getting that. I haven't got much games for my PS3, but the ones I do have were pretty much from the release and only ran at 720p.

hmmm iv got a nasty feeling the problem could lie with the set in that case, WipoutHD is 1080p and the flicking is terrible. I think ill buy a better cable from Game and if that doesnt work they can refund me.I just hope it isnt my new TV :S

If it is the cable then you need one that isn't faulty rather than a 'better' one as such so don't over spend on it.

Generally HDMI failures start as sparkles on screen then progress to complete picture/sound drop out.

I suppose an intermittently faulty cable could give the flickering you report but it is not likely. Do check both ends of the current cable are firmly in place.

Hello 3ight8ball

The fault could be in the Source, the Display or with the Cable - trying a different cable is the quickest way to eliminate the cable.

Joe

This happened me last night on the PS3. I tried it with the HDMI cable that I use for SkyHD and there was no problems so it looks like I just need a new cable.

Spoke to Toshiba who immediatley asked me how much the cable cost me, after i told them, they explained that this was a common issue and told me to invest in a decent £30 HDMI cable.Went to Maplin, bought the £30 gold plated one, problem solved, picture is sharp with no flicker.

The cable will only ever produce flickering or sparkling effects if used over a great distance (i.e. 12m +). The cost of the cable has nothing to do with it.

I ran a 10m HDMI cable (cost £12) with a 1080p projector fine. :)

Spoke to Toshiba who immediatley asked me how much the cable cost me, after i told them, they explained that this was a common issue and told me to invest in a decent £30 HDMI cable.Went to Maplin, bought the £30 gold plated one, problem solved, picture is sharp with no flicker.

Personally I would spend more than £8-£10 on a short i.e. 1-2m HDMI cable. Just make sure it's CAT 2 certified and you should be fine for anythinh the PS3 at throw out. Spending more £ does not guarantee a better quality cable but iy does make retailers very happy.

AVI

Last edited:

What you needed was a working cable not a "£30 cable" but glad the problem is sorted for you now.

The sticky post here is worth a read if you want more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom