Screen flickering on Samsung 6 series LCD

giger

I've been having some problems with screen flicker on the HDMI input of my Samsung LE40A656. The video processing board has been changed twice but it still occurs, albeit in a different form each time.

I had a very small amount of flicker when the TV was new but it was very rare, however now I am using a HDMI switching amp it is happening more frequently and it is much worse. I have changed the amp (thinking that was at fault) and tried different leads but to no avail. I have had the problem occur when using other sources through the amp, but generally it occurs when the PS3 is on (and generally when playing games rather than watching movies).

The flickering generally occurs in the top portion of the screen, it starts slow (i.e one flicker every few seconds) but then builds up to such a degree (a few flickers a second) that the TV goes in to standby. This is only on HDMI. However with the latest video processing board I have had fitted, I now experience problems whereby I lose colours on ALL sources. Last night this was followed by losing volume when switching to my SKY input.

I have had this flicker on 2 different HDMI sources running through my HDMI amp, I have had the problem with the PS3 plugged directly into the TV and have tried different leads. I will be trying all of these things again in case something has changed but it appears to me it is the TV that is still at fault somehow.

I am at a loss here as to what to do. The TV was bought through John Lewis and they have so far been very good at arranging for repairs. The local company they use have been very professional, but mentioned that if I have any more faults it is with my other equipment, and not with the TV (due to them changing the video processing board twice).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong, & What are my chances of having 3 faulty video processing boards?

Last edited:

giger

Just to update this, i'm not getting problems where the picture is displaying in either red, green or blue on every input and cycles around these colours each time the problem occurs. It generally starts when using the PS3. I'm really puzzled by this :confused:

Is it possible that the PS3 could someone be setting off a chain event of picture problems on the TV that subsequently effect every input, or can this only be down to an issue with the TV?

BigJamesD

Standard Member
I think i'm having the same problem as yourself, the interference you refer to, does it look like faint lines moving up the screen ?

If so when I'm watching skyHd I can see them just, but when i'm playing a Blu-ray through my PS3 I can clearly see them moving super fast up the screen, this problem started about 2 months ago for me.

Ive changed the hdmi cable 3 times, still the same problem, my tv is out of warranty so i'm concerned that it will cost a fortune to repair it, for it not to be repaired like yourself.

If anybody could help that would be great, many thanks.

Shompola

Sounds like an HDMI handshake problem with your TV, or PS3 (not very likely). Do you have any other HDMI device you can test with?

BigJamesD

Standard Member
HDMI handshake problem ? I've tried 3 hdmi cables but it's just the same problem, however i've got my xbox 360 using hdmi and theres no problem with that, even tried that cable with my PS3 in the 360 hdmi slot and it's still the same feint lines on the screen.

Shompola

Yes, the PS3 and the TV communicate with hand shaking, i.e. setting up resolution is done that way. If the communication has problems, screen may flicker. See if you can change the HDMI settings in the PS3.

giger

I don't think this is a handshake issue as i've tried numerous configurations, with and without the amp. The flicker is occasional as per my first post and also erractic. from what I know of handshake protocol the problem would be constant.

I've just got a load of new cables so i'm goint o re-wire everything and test with and without the HDMI amp and see if I can get to the bottom of this. I'll report back with an update.

BigJamesD - might be best of with your own post. Interlace is different from interference, interlacing effects how the image is displayed (but that's a whole different thread :D).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom