screen fasteners???

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ive always fancied having some sort of decent removable screen material fixing but failed to actually find what im looking. Does anyone know any sort of 'popper' kind of thing, you know, like you get on coats, you get a male and a female piece and they pop together? Does anyone know where you would get these, how much they would cost and whether they would be sensible to be putting on screen material?

The other thing i considered was eyelet type things, i guess you get them on tarpaulins and things.... the eye is on the tarp, you put it over a metal stud and then the stud twists to the eye cant pull over it. Anyone know anything about these?

Reason really for asking is that im likely going to have to make a new screen and i want it to be totally removable, unlike my last effort which will basically be destroyed in demounting.

many thanks

Ad

Velcro? ;)

The other otpion is to eyelet your fabric and then use one long piece of cord (I guess stretchy stuff would work best) andrun that through all the holes and in between each eyelet have it looping over the frame or through a hole in the frame. This should give even tensioning.

velcro I have considered, but it isnt as attractive to me as some form of popper type fastening.

As you say i could eyelet the thing, but where would i get the metal eyelets?

ad

Eyelets I have only ever seen in outdoor shops (for tents), marine shops (for sails I guess) and hardware shops, not sure if B&Q etc would have them though. Very easy to use, you just need a big hammer.

i'll have a search about..... cant find on maplin or screwfix or rs..... still searching though!

ad

£1086.00 + £20.00 for tubing Matt Plus FP 353X198 :eek:

Now where did I put that hacksaw....

They do supply screen material at reasonable prices tho' including 'web and eye (grommet) edging unless specified otherwise' whatever that means.

Most haberdashery shops sell something called 'popper tape' which is used to fasten curtain lining onto curtains. It is basically a lenght of fabric 3/4" wide with a press stud every 4-5". It is sold with the 2 halves together, one to sew onto the curtains, the other onto the lining.

Cheers, Beastie.

Found this cheap solution for a light, stiff aluminium frame:

http://www.fastframes.co.uk/

£112 for a 353 by 198cm viewing area cann't be bad?
Anyone with experience of these large frames??
I just cann't understand why a 'ciinema screen' frame costs upwards of £800 for the same size:rolleyes:

I had a chat with a local screen place about fixed screens and he preferred velcro as it allowed retensioning of the screen. With poppers if the screen stretches due to temperature or age you can't.

YMMV

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom