Screen Excellence - Acoustically Transparent Screen Pricing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TheSeer, Oct 15, 2016.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello everyone and I hope you are all well

I'm hoping that the joint expertise of the forum will be able to help me.....

I'm in the process of turning a lounge into a family cinema room. The room will have to serve dual duty as a lounge with normal "everyday" TV viewing and then, hopefully, also function as a good cinema room. Consequently, one of the constraints I have is that I will need to use an acoustically transparent screen that will drop in front of the wall mounted TV and L/R/C speakers. An added complication is that the walls need to be light coloured (domestic edict.....)

I've been doing some research into acoustically transparent screens and it seems that one of the issues with the lower-end AT screens is that the PJ light will reflect back off the TV screen when the AT screen is lowered in front of the TV (why is it never, ever straighforward...?). It seems as if Screen Excellence AT screens are one of the few ones that have the necessary black backing cloth to prevent this back reflection and to also cope with the light coloured walls behind the screen.

It appears that there aren't too many Screen Excellence dealers around and it seems impossible to get any kind of pricing off the web. So, I was wondering if any knowledgeable individuals can give me an indication of the cost of a Screen Excellence screen with the following specs:

Size: 120 inch viewable diagonal (9 ft screen)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Electric drop down
    Acoustically transparent.

Many thanks in advance

TS

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    FWIW Seymour do an AT drop down screen with black backing for exactly the purpose you require. I had a quote for a custom made one (with extra deep bottom border that would go to the floor, but leave the visible picture area higher up). My quote was for 3 metre wide 2.40:1 and was around 2.5k. Your smaller size may be cheaper of course, but you could contact Jagdeepp at Epic Home Cinema for a quote.

Epic Home Cinema - Home Cinema Retail and Installations

I've decided on another route, so I've gone fixed AT screen using the same XD material as I happened to find a brand new unused roll in the classifieds. Instead my TV will move out of the way of the screen as per my build thread. :)

3. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks Kelvin. Appreciate your help & guidance.

I'll contact Epic tomorrow - fortunately they are only about 40 minutes away. The price you were quoted for the Seymour is almost 1/3rd the price I have been quoted for a smaller Screen Excellence one.....:eek:. And I doubt the Screen Excellence one is 3 times better......;)

I read through your "Worlds Collide" thread and your set-up looks like it will be amazing. The TV lift combination with the fixed screen is inspired (as well as being very cost effective)!! Not sure it would work in my case but it has certainly given me pause for thought...The overall cost may be much lower and the TV rising up like that certainly has a substantial "cool" and "wow" factor about it...!! Plus, with the fixed screen, there may be some scope for turning it into an active part of the room decor if given enough thought and inspiration...... Now where am I going to get that inspiration from.....:rolleyes:

Many thanks again.

TS