1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Door!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ghidorah, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello can anyone tell me if the screen door effect gets better if you use a proper screen instead of a wall or if you have Pro scan Player ?
    I have the HS2 and thought it was great at first then noticed that it is not as clear as it was in the shop and it looks abit blocky.

Help

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Ghidorah,

I'm projecting on to a home made screen of blackout lining on a frame, so I can't comment from personal experience on whether a "proper" screen - I assume you mean a commercially made screen from Draper/whatever - will affect the appearance of screendoor. I have read posts here from peeps using grey screens to the effect that it reduces the appearance of screendoor.

As far as Prog scan goes, I find that the appearance of screendoor is the same with an interlaced signal as when its playing tghrough the ProV or through a PC - both of which are prog scan signals.

In the event that you're absolutely sure that the issue you're concerned about IS screendoor, feel free to ignore the following:

You described the image as "blocky" - I'm not sure whether you're talking about screendoor - which is the grid pattern which os visible due to the gaps between the pixels on the LCD panels, or whether you're referring to some other visual artifact in the signal. The appearance of blocks of the image taking longer to refresh than other areas is not screendoor - its usually down to poor decoding by a dvd player. You haven't inidcated what you're using to play dvd, or how its connected to the projector, or whether the artifact is present on all sources. (TV/video via composite video is usually horrible by comparison with DVD).

If the issue is screendoor, sitting at a dstance greater than 1.5xscreen width and a slight defocus of the image usually eliminates the worst of it.

Hope you get sorted,

All the best,

Sean G.

3. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Theritz
    The DVD is the Harmon Kardon DVD25 Pro Scan and the connection is by the S video with the lead supplied with the PJ
    The picture is not like block artifacts when something moves like you somtimes get on sky. Its just that the I seem to be able to see that the picture is made up of tiny squares.
    The picture is 7 foot wide and I sit about 14 feet away. Is this to close or do I have to shink the screen down or shall I try another PJ ?
    Thanks for your help

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again Ghidorah,

AFAIK the HS2 has the same resolution as the AE100 - 852x484 (or thereabouts). If you're sitting 14ft from a 7ft screen and screendoor is still an issue, then I'd sugggest trying a very slight de-focus first to see if that helps. I sit about 12 ft from the same size screen, and while the missus rathers a sharp image and doesn't care about screen door, I rather a very slight defocus - but only really notice the screen door on very light areas.

I wouldn't recommend someone to change their projector no matter what the situation !!!! The bloomin' things cost too much and lose their value too quickly to be choppong and changing, imo. If the cost issue is not a factor, then you might consider seeing the Sanyo Z1 which has a higher resolution or an AE300, which has a higher resolution and a feature which reduces (eliminates ?) screendoor, or the HS10 - see Kramers posting for the definitive lowdown on that baby.

Just a friendly caveat : When I got the AE100 at first, I read avidly here and on avsforum trying to get the best performance I could out of it - which is fine. But I found myself becoming increasingly ultra critical of everything - colour uniformity, screendoor, vertical banding all the usual suspects. At the end of the day, all of these projectors are a compromise between cost and performance - the newer crop are better than last years models, as one would expect, and next year there will be better models again. I eventually chilled out, and while I'm still on the path of improvement, it doesn't get in the way of popping on a dvd and sitting back to see a movie with better picture quality and sound than the local UCI. Sorry if this sounnds overly philosophical, but try not to get hung up on any of the issues - like most peeps here, we've got these wonderful little gizmos for watching a big screen image, not necessarily to attain visual perfection.

All the best,

Sean G.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I have read posts both here and over on avsforum where people have gone from a white screen to a grey screen, or from a high gain screen to a low gain screen, and noticed a reduction in screendoor. The majority of the Stewart Grayhawk beta testers reported a similar finding, so it doesn't seem to be that unusual.

I don't think the reduction would be as great as a slight defocusing though. Not having seen it myself, I can't say first hand.

I've also seen people say that adding a lens filter has had the same effect, so that could be a cheaper option to try first.

I think the reason this is percieved is because the contrast of the dark grid pattern against a white or high gain screen is greater than the contrast against a grey or low gain screen, so it appears to be a comparative perception rather than an absolute one.

HTH

Gary.

6. byronm

byronm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has to be something wrong if your 14 feet back and only on a 84" screen and STILL seeing "Screen Door".

I have a 96" 4:3 screen and sitting back 10 feet i see no screen door on my SL1U projector.

I built my own screen:

http://www.fpforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=16

This did help out alot more then a wall. I will be uploading more pics to the thread as well.

Do you have your zoom in all the way? Have you tried making sure your not using the zoom at all and then place your projector at the proper throw distance from the screen? i've seen "heavy" screen door when projector is placed close and highly zoomed in.

7. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ghidorah

I maybe wrong, but I don't think your dvd player will pass a progressive signal through the s-video connection. You need to use component - it may clean-up some of the "blockiness" you are experiencing.

8. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Folks,

Thanks for the info.
    To get a 7 foot pic i have the zoom right out.
    Do you think the throw is not long enough and shall I try the short throw lens then not zoom out so much ?
    I hope to get my Owl screen to day, so I will try that.
    I dont think the HS2 has normal componant in, you have to buy a new lead.
    I saw a HS1 ages ago and the pic looked clearer than mine.
    I am sill going to look at some DLP PJs. I hope they loan me one to compare at home as they have them set up right for there demos.
    Thanks again for all your inputs.
    Ghidorah
    :confused:

9. byronm

byronm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your picture will be drastically sharper if you get rid of your zoom. I only use Zoom to make minute adjustments. The zoom is enhancing your screen door effect by the amount of zoom you have applied.. 1.5 - 2.5x!!

As far as component in, i would think all recent projectors have this support either through component inputs or the multi-use db15 connector from which you can by the DB15 to Component breakout cable.

10. sonn

sonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the 3:4 screen mode the HS1 is rightly supposed to be clearer than HS2, because for this mode it has got more pixels.

11. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sonn,

When I saw the HS1 it was in 16.9 and 4.3 mode,and still looked clearer. So I don't know what it is.
    Any way it's going to all accademic now as I have persuaded
    my wife that I can have the HS10 instead, Huzzar !!!!! :clap:
    As the HS2 was an ex-demo model the said I could exchange it
    and they will just use it as a demo machine again.

Thanks to every one for helping out and answering my forum.
    :smashin:

12. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I was similarly dissapointed by the HS2. I thought it was a step up from the HS1, but as previously mentioned the HS1 has more pixels (I know it doesnt in 16:9 mode)

I have only had it a few days and it also has 1-3 stuck pixels in the middle third of the screen in an L shape. Rung the shop, they say I can swap it for an HS10 + the extra dosh, it will be 3 weeks though, not in stock :(

Plus I now don't need the extra leads for VGA and Component which is over £200 as HS10 has DVI and Component out of the box!

:D

13. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fozziebear,

Good luck with the new HS10. I should be getting mine on wednesday with a bit of luck. But I can use the HS2 till it turns up.
    I am looking forward to using the pro scan on the DVD and see how much better it is than the HS2.
    I will let you know when I get it:D

Plus we can use all the ideas and info from our HS10 brothers
    To get the best out of our PJ

I will have to wait to put up the screen as the mounting plates are wrong "God Dammit"

Speeks soon.
    and thanks again for all your input folks.

Ghidorah:hiya: