1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Door Effect?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hebawom, Jan 20, 2005.

1. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering the Hitachi TX100, but I keep hearing people talk about this SDE. Now from reading the various posts on this issue (sometimes referred to as the chicken wire effect - I think this is the same thing?) I think it's either seeing the individual pixels that make up the picture, or seeing the actual LCD pannels in the picture. Can anyone tell me which it is, and whether people find it distracting. If its the LCD pannels, then what does the effect look like and why does it occur?

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Screen door and/or chicken wire effect=gap between individual pixels.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Oh and I rarely if ever see it on my ae300 which has smoothscreen technology that blurs the pixels slightly to lessen the effect, no experience with the TX100 :)

4. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    if you have a small room and a big screen size you will see it.
    if you set up your pj roughly where you want it first you can work out how big you can go on the screen before it becomes a issue.

5. PIG JOE

PIG JOE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the TX100 since it's launch and am still blown away by it's picture quality everytime i watch a film!
    I can only see the 'screendoor' effect if i stick my nose on the screen, well almost.
    I view from aprox 12ft onto a 7ft screen and both screendoor an VB are just not a problem.
    I'm also still using the very basic picture adjustments and see no need to start tweaking 'gamma' and other such levels.
    If you search for reviews and head to head tests for the TX100 it almost always is
    the unit that comes out tops.

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would strongly recommend demoing any projector. I was exited about the TX100 after everyone raved about it here, but when I got a demo at Nexnix, the screen door was always noticeable to me and stopped me getting into the image. I coulndn't appreciate the qualities of the TX100 because of the screendoor. Apparently you can defocus the image to reduce the effect. I also viewed the Sony HS20 and could not see any screendoor.

Also seen Panasonic AE700 recently and could not see screen door until I walked up to the screen and stood about 30cm away (due to panasonic smoothscreen technology, but some people complain this makes the image soft - didn't have a problem with it myself).

I think these thing as subjective, so you may not be too bothered by it. One of my friends comments on how bars above and below images bother hime with widescreen films. Personally I stop noticing the bars once I'm into the film, you may feel the same way with screen door, but really need to get a demo.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    From 1.5 times screen width viewing distance or more, screendoor on TX100 disappears. If you want to view closer yes a slight defocus will probably help, which is perhaps what the smoothscreen type technology in effect does. Never tried it myself, I like a sharp image hence the TX is perfect for me, I sit approx 1.8x screen width away...PJ

8. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just to confirm that chickenwire is visible on my TX-100 but only when I go very close to the screen (on my way to the fridge!). From normal viewing distance it's not a problem at all.