1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen door confusion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrprelude, Apr 12, 2002.

1. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's this "screen door" effect you all keep mentioning?
    Also. I can't understand what can be so complicated about what type of screen should be used with a projector. I'm thinking of getting a Panny AE-100. Any tips on what screens I should be contemplating?
    The max viewing distance I will be able to achieve in my living room is approx. 14feet. Any idea what sort of image size I will achieve with this projector and viewing distance, please?
    The reviews state a maximum image size of 200inches with the Panny. That's wider than the end wall in my room.

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    As a newcomer here, I was also confused by the "screen door" references. Reading though the archives, this is the information I've come up with - and if any of my deductions are wrong, perhaps someone more clued-up will correct me...

1. The screen-door effect is nothing whatsoever to do with screens (at least not the sort of screens you project a picture on to.)

2. It's an American term.

3. Americans, at least in some areas, have a separate outer door on their houses which consists of a wooden framework with a wire mesh stretched over it. This is known as... a screen door.

4. When you look out through such a screen door, what you see is the view of your surroundings covered with a dark lattice of fine lines.

5. The individual pixels in an LCD projector are separated by a similar lattice of lines.

6. Some projectors, under some conditions, can throw this network of lines onto the screen, giving you a picture that looks as if you're viewing it though an American's front door - the "screen door effect".

That was lengthier than I intended. Sorry.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bert's reply says most of it.
    The accepted wisdom is you should watch from at least one and a half times the screen width to minimise or avoid seeing the effect. However some people seem to be more sensitive than others! (Just like 'rainbows with DLP projectors)

I'm watching from one times screen width and I can't honestly say it bothers me.

4. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well what do you know
    so thats whatscreen door is good discription m8
    P@ :)

5. mrprelude

mrprelude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bert

I thought you were winding me up there for a moment.
    I have heard this described in magazines and have seen the effect in a demo room in my local Sevenoaks store. Their projector was a SIM2 job, I think, which must have been nearly 30ft from the screen and the mesh effect was very prominent

I presume, then, that the nearer the projector is to the screen the effects of "screendoor" are less evident, but with reduced image size?

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    "I presume, then, that the nearer the projector is to the screen the effects of "screendoor" are less evident, but with reduced image size?"

I suppose so, though I must stress that since I don't yet own a projector myself, it's all theory for me at this stage.

As Dubbing Mixer said there is also this recommendation that you should view from at least one-and-a-half times the screen width, which is supposed to cut down the effect. I've also read that if you soften the focus very slightly it can also help, without degrading the image too much.

Like a lot of A/V and home-cinema things, this whole business seems to be very subjective.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

7. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should get the projector first and then decide things like screens etc for yourself, its all down to personal preference really, i find that softening my focus really helps and i really do not see it at all any more at these settings,

for that sort of distance i would say an 8' wide image would be excellent, thats what i run in a room with approx the same dimentions as yours, and screen door really is not a problem at all