Screen Distance D50 -> G70

klr10

Established Member
Reaction score
In a moment of madness I succumbed to the lure of a Sony G70 on ebay. I am currently running a D50 and was pleased to find the ceiling brackets are the same.... thinking this would be a fairly easy mechanical install. To my horror looking at pjcalc it seems that with my 90inch wide screen the G70 needs to be 118 inches away compared with 132 of my D50.
Can one of the Sony experts please tell me if I will lose much resolution by being 14 inches too far away and winding down the picture size slightly, (there is a beam across the room preventing me from moving the projector into the correct place) and will I cause any damage (other than obviously causing uneven tube wear preventing a future install in the correct place).

Hi,

you will loose brightness and definition and wear the tubes.

BUT

are they perfect? if so then I would think a bit of a waste, but its your pj.

Could you explain a but more the beam position please...

Is the beam parallel to the screen?
currently if it is it goes screen beam pj?

how big is the beam? if the pj projects round it at the mo?

I know its a ball ache to move your pj but it would be better if you did.

Have you tried a "dummy run" from the floor to check the correct position you need - maximum use of raster?

thats all i can offer

(Barco & Seleco 4 me!)

Hi MadMrH :hiya: Thanks for your help, the support beam (about 9 inches deep) is across the exact middle of the room (where a supporting wall once was) and the D50 is actually mounted just behind the beam on a Unicol bracket so the lenses just clear the beam and the projector is the exact correct distance from the screen.
To get the G70 in the right place it would have to straddle the beam making it way too low. Unfortunately I can't move the screen or put in a bigger one as there is no space.
The final solution would be to floor mount it, but then I'd have to buy new furniture as I currently have two sofas one behind the other and the floor box would encroach on the front sofa....
I guess I'll just have to see what it ends up like and hope the foot or so doesn't make too much difference. Any other suggestions gratefully received :rolleyes:
I'm hoping the G70 will be so much better that I'll be happy enough anyway :)

noticed you sony S725D - great bit of kit my first component out dvd player when they were first released at about 600 notes....
Just had to have one!

I have a DVP9000ES up for grabs if you want one - PM me though no sales here....

Post a picture of the room if you dont mind.

NO chance at all of moving the screen forward a bit?

FIRST THING os to floor mount it and see just how far out you are....

Then decide or think of options....

NO point thinking about a problem that does not exist yet, though it does not hurt to look at all the options...

Good Luck.

Wow! :thumbsup: I wish I could get that kind of positive encouragement at home - Thanks MadMrH :clap:

Promise I'll get the Box Brownie out and some flashbulbs... when I work out how we can get this monster thing down four flights of narrow stairs.

Now where did I leave my glasses? :rolleyes:

Thinking about what to do with my D50 now, bought it for a grand with fairly old tubes (8,500).

I've had it about two years and just got it all sorted - it's had three new tubes less than 50 hours ago that cost me over a grand.

I don't know if I should give it to a friend rather than sell it at a huge loss after all the G70 was cheap and someone lost an awful lot there somewhere.

It really is a little peach on an Iscan Pro and it's so bright but I had to have the G70, I hope it's as good as it should be. I'm picking it up today so please excuse the neurotic and emotional post

klr10 said:
I don't know if I should giveit to a friend

Can I be your friend? :thumbsup:

Sorry I don't talk to people who like Sun MicroSystems :lesson:

klr10 said:
Sorry I don't talk to people who like Sun MicroSystems :lesson:

That's why I work for IBM :rolleyes:

.... Amdahl me (well I woz until we got taken over by the nips...) :eek:

klr10 said:
(well I woz until we got taken over by the nips...) :eek:

Now that does sound painful!!! :rotfl:

Old Eastern proverb: Man who lists Sony, Sony, Yamaha, Canon and Sony again in kit shouldn't be impolite.

Hi Klr10

I so nearly bid against you on that. I have to keep reminding myself I bought a DLP so I didn't spend my whole life tweaking a CRT.

klr10 its worth doing a quick test on the floor as MrH suggested and hoping the pjcalc program is a little off this time! I was without throw distance data for my particular lenses so did a floor mount to get the right distance before ceiling mounting.

Simon

Thanks for the encouragement Cosaw :smashin: , am just waiting for a mate to come and help me lift this monster onto a flight case I had in the shed; it's just the right height. I'll be able to move the G70 about on that so hopefully I'll be able to see what I can get away with.... :rolleyes:

OK here is an update, got it onto the flightcase and flipped its plugs and the switch to change the image polarity. Powered it up and turned on the DVD player.
Phew! I think the position will be OK. Will lose a little but the image only overlaps my 8ft screen by about 6 inches. It's not all that far from focussed as it is set up (and it came from a demo room at a dealer) so I figure that's not too bad.
So, next question is what do I replace my Iscan Pro with that would give me the best bang for my buck? Second hand Iscan HD? Do I need to spend a lot on something like a Crystalio?
Never expected to have a G70 so I've never really looked into scalers, but it would seem I have got the CRT bug well and truly :rolleyes:

:clap: Great to hear you got it up and running. Hope you enjoy it :thumbsup:

If you want to try a "better" scaler, I'm happy to pop over with my HD Leeza to see if it makes much difference? :)

Ok, another update: - Got the G70 at the correct place on the floor and it is indeed 13 inches too far back. After much deliberating decided to move the screen forward by 13 inches and move the sofas back as far as possible with the front one closer to the rear one.
Went to HSS Lift & Shift and hired an 8ft Genie Lift (£65/day). A good mate (thanks Trev) and I got the D50 down and the G70 up - for some strange reason it looks much smaller now it's on the ceiling?? Then went through all the rigmarole of lifting the front room carpet, underlay and floor boards and moving all the electrics and catnic straps for the screen and cabinet, then Genie lifted it to its new position and wedged it and drilled it, then bolted it back in. The room is now a little cosier, but actually if anything it looks better.
Now the moment of truth..... :eek:
I can't believe the level of detail now. I need to get a scaler all I can see are lines from the Iscan Pro. Anyone about to upgrade their Crystalio? :lease:
Steve if you read this can you call me when convenient if you fancy letting me try your HD leeza :thumbsup:
Will post some photos shortly of the room (now it's a bit tidier) :rolleyes:

klr10 said:
Ok, another update: - Got the G70 at the correct place on the floor and it is indeed 13 inches too far back. After much deliberating decided to move the screen forward by 13 inches and move the sofas back as far as possible with the front one closer to the rear one.
Went to HSS Lift & Shift and hired an 8ft Genie Lift (£65/day). A good mate (thanks Trev) and I got the D50 down and the G70 up - for some strange reason it looks much smaller now it's on the ceiling?? Then went through all the rigmarole of lifting the front room carpet, underlay and floor boards and moving all the electrics and catnic straps for the screen and cabinet, then Genie lifted it to its new position and wedged it and drilled it, then bolted it back in. The room is now a little cosier, but actually if anything it looks better.
Now the moment of truth..... :eek:
I can't believe the level of detail now. I need to get a scaler all I can see are lines from the Iscan Pro. Anyone about to upgrade their Crystalio? :lease:
Steve if you read this can you call me when convenient if you fancy letting me try your HD leeza :thumbsup:
Will post some photos shortly of the room (now it's a bit tidier) :rolleyes:

Hi Keith,
I seem to have mislaid your number, but feel free to call me to arrange borrowing my scaler.
Cheers,
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom